Who were you??????

gizzard

Last night, about 1700, my wife was thrilled to see a Herk jump over a ridge near Allegany Community College, in Cumberland, MD. Oh, she knows it was a Herk beyond a doubt, and she was wavin' at it as it went over. From her description it was a slick...........Any idea where it was from and what it was doin' there???? and, one other thing, if any of you on this site was on that beast, you coulda buzzed my house and waved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, wish I coulda seen her.................been quite a while since we saw one around here ......................

Giz

Hard to say. The sequestration has some reserve and ANG units down to 20 hours for April. My guess would be a Baltimore or Pittsburg bird. We've had some low levels int he past up there. One time we had a 3 ship low level off by a bit and busted over Whisp. :eek:

Replacing the Navigator with the Garmin Twins has solved that problem for us. Now when we screw up and wind up where we're not supposed to be, we know EXACTLY where it is!

Hard to say. The sequestration has some reserve and ANG units down to 20 hours for April. My guess would be a Baltimore or Pittsburg bird. We've had some low levels int he past up there. One time we had a 3 ship low level off by a bit and busted over Whisp. :eek:

I thought maybe they would be from Charleston, WV. Is there still a 130 unit there???? Back in the days when Martinsburg had REAL planes ( see 'Real Planes have PROPS), we were often treated to an airshow. Once two crossed the house so low I could see the rivets and urinal drain tubes on the bottom. another time, my daughter was comin' home from nursing school, rounded a turn up the road from our house and was face to face with one. I had seen it come down the ridgeline up the road here and then trun and she must have been in the right place to see it. OF COURSE, each time these planes were at or above min. AGL......(wink, wink) NOBODY would fly unlawfully low. Anyway, thanks to the 167th. for rattlin' up some old memories for me............

Giz

Charleston still has Herks. Martinsburg C-5's going to C-17's and Baltimore lost their Herks and has C-27's for now.

Bob

Still no excuse for not stoppin' by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! Yeah, I knew about the -5's goin' from M'burg. i have an 18th century re-enactor friend, a loady of course, who is a full-timer there and he told me that several months back. I think many of them are excited to be able toget back to some good airlift instead of airline ops. Funny how Bob Byrd got them to spend beaucoup bucks to build up the runways and such, new hangers, all that, for the FRED's and now they are going. BTW, part of the tail section of the -5 was built down there, around '69 or so................

Gizzard, Charley West (130th) has the 8 H3s Martinsburg had when they went to C-5s. The 8 H2s Charley West had when I retired (88-1301 - 88-1308) are now MC-130Ws or whatever they call them now. I didn't know Baltimore lost their J models. The C-27 sure is a boondoggle. The AD is trying to get Herks from anywhere they can get them. Congress sure screwed the C-130 program over.

Maybe they can use the 27's to haul the Barretta factory out of Maryland after OWE-Malley and the liberal state legilsature throws the bone to....................

You're not kidding.... The govt is making more off of me than I'm making for myself.

The sad thing about the C-27 is that if they had been purchased 15 years ago, they'd be in a very secure position. Timing is everything in this situation. However, that works out well for the Herk community.

Gizzard, Charley West (130th) has the 8 H3s Martinsburg had when they went to C-5s. The 8 H2s Charley West had when I retired (88-1301 - 88-1308) are now MC-130Ws or whatever they call them now. I didn't know Baltimore lost their J models. The C-27 sure is a boondoggle. The AD is trying to get Herks from anywhere they can get them. Congress sure screwed the C-130 program over.

88-1301-88-1308 were all converted to MC-130Ws a few years ago under the CLR program at Robins. The MC-130Ws were renamed AC-130Ws and all 12 are out at Cannon.

• 1 month later...

Move here to Albuquerque. You can watch what I like to call "Touch n Go Tuesdays" out by the Target on Eubank.

And sometimes you can sit outside and hear that drone from miles away and then when you hear the rumble draw near - you jump up out of your chair to run and wave.