Safe Haven

tinwhistle

It's all too infrequent that I hear comments like what I heard this afternoon and I want to pass along a heart warming story. Stopped in at the local "monument" store to check up on the headstone that Mary and I ordered for our cemetery plot as I'm having the image of the C-130 engraved on it. In the course of the conversation, the owner, about my age (somewhat ancient), says to me; "That's a C-130, right? Yes, reply's I. He says: I was a young Army officer in Vietnam in 1968, and whenever we climbed into a 130 we knew we were safe. You guy's were great, and the C-130 was a safe haven for us. We army guys loved it.......

says a lot, huh!?!?

Through the years not much changes. I've carried thousands of troops and saw many sighs of relief when troops get on the airplane. The airplanes have far better defensive systems, armor, night vision goggles and hopefully better trained crews than they did fourty years ago. We do our best to live up to that reputation. I hope we don't let anyone down.

30 years later...

Similar thing in Iraq, when that was still going on. Totally different animal, taking the guys/girls into Iraq, vs, taking them out. Taking them in it was always a quiet, dull, sad looking bunch. On the way out, we'd line up, take off, swing the gear, then you'd hear this hooting and hollering from the back...it was pretty cool. Camera flashes....couple of water bottle getting splashed around....party in back of 245...

Had a similar experience couple years back, when I was at a gas station, a guy came up and asked me what the wings were on my truck. He was a Nam vet, so he knew what the VSM decal was. I told him, and he said" So you were one of THEM?" Didn't quite know what was to follow when he says, " I saw many times what you guys did and I knew yyou guys , no matter what it took, got the stuff we needed in to us. It still gives me goose bumps when I think about it. I jsut never met one of you before.""" Like TW, I was damn proud of that, and this guy rememberin' what my brothers and me had done.

Yep, I guess takin' people home like TopBolt says was great, but not when they could no longer celebrate . it's awful quiet aft of 245 then.............

Giz

I'm raising a glass to all those we brought back safely, to those taking their last ride and to those we left behind. They will not be forgotten.

Just keep in mind that WE did not leave them behind, our LEADERS (?) did.......And you are right, they WILL NOT be forgotten!!!!!!!

Giz

My flag pole, out front, flys the Stars and Stripes with the POW/MIA flag directly below. I, for one, will not let them be forgotten, in fact, I have made it my personal responsibility to constantly remind the "media", especially "public broadcasting" that it was they and thier agenda that stirred the unrest of the 60s and 70s and particularly the hatred of the returning GI. I'm from South Central Wisconsin, only a few miles from the Campus of the University of Wisconsin which in the time frame considered was the epicenter of anti war movement and the open and unbridled hatred of the returning military. I will not forget.......

My flag pole, out front, flys the Stars and Stripes with the POW/MIA flag directly below. I, for one, will not let them be forgotten, in fact, I have made it my personal responsibility to constantly remind the "media", especially "public broadcasting" that it was they and thier agenda that stirred the unrest of the 60s and 70s and particularly the hatred of the returning GI. I'm from South Central Wisconsin, only a few miles from the Campus of the University of Wisconsin which in the time frame considered was the epicenter of anti war movement and the open and unbridled hatred of the returning military. I will not forget.......

DING HOW, TW. DING HOW!!!!!!!