Aero Precision provides OEM part support for military aircraft operators across more than 20 aircraft
Sign in to follow this  
DC10FE

C-17 MAFFS??

On the network news last night, there was a news clip of the fires in California. A 2 or 3 second shot showed what looked like a C-17 dropping slurry on a fire. Are they being used along with the C-130's?

Don R.

Thanks, Dave.

After I posted the above, I thought about it a lot. I didn't really think they would use a C-17 for that mission, so a Bae 146 came to mind. Like I said, it was just a 2 or 3 second clip.

Don R.

I've got a friend that's retired from the USFS and he keeps me up to date on fires and the tankers. The C-27J would make a good tanker. The retardant drop air speed is pretty low (130 KIAS).

I just read that Erikson Aero Air of Oregon will be operating 7 DC-9-87's (MD-87) as fire bombers. They will be replacing the P-2 Neptunes. Wonder what the DC-9's capacity is?

Don R.

I think the C-27 is in the offering because the DOD got them and now wants rid of them. My friend thinks the jets are a mistake, especially the wide bodies. If one goes in it would be really bad. The turn around time for each drop is too slow.