Super Typhoon headed for the Phillipines

Spectre623

Tonight Thurs 11/7/13 Weather Channel says the worlds strongest typhoon is headed for the P.I. Predicted winds from 190 to 230 MPH. Looks like it will hit Cebu City but miss Angelese City. All us old P.I. Herk guys need to pray for them. There are about 3000 ex GIs living in the PI but about 58 million total people live in the PI. I remember typhoon bug outs but this looks like the macdaddy of all time. Bill Clark AB 69-70

Bill,

I have quite a few Filipino friends that I flew with in Angola when I was with Transafrik. I've tried to contact some of them, but with no luck.

I wonder if they're doing anything to protect the C-130's at Mactan?

Don R.

Clark AB

1965-1967

Anybody remember the monsoons that hit the PI the end of July, ( I think), '72????? Hauled relief supplies in, maybe to Clark, but for some reason my feeble mid says somewhere else,,,where we parked to off-load, the water was almost to the forst step of the crew entrance door. I know I was wet to my knees.........The 36th, maybe others as well, got a Phillipine Presidential Unit Citation for the effort. I kept lookin' for the big boat with all the animals!!!!!!!!!!

Giz

I was at CCK in 72 and remember the relief efforts. If I remember correctly, Luzon got a months worth of rain in 3-4 days, resulting in the massive flooding.

yep, that be the one. We were at CCK and I don't know what all was in our load, five pallets worth if I remember. It was more like the island sank than rain came down.........

Well Giz, I can't take the 5th, I been facing the same situation for over 40 years, course around here I have a reprobate

named Arne, and a get a few phone calls from an old Engineer named B. Bottoms course to be an enlisted crew member,

on a C-130 or just about any other aircraft, one of the first requirements was to be some what of a reprobate!!

Well Giz, I can't take the 5th, I been facing the same situation for over 40 years, course around here I have a reprobate

named Arne, and a get a few phone calls from an old Engineer named B. Bottoms course to be an enlisted crew member,

on a C-130 or just about any other aircraft, one of the first requirements was to be some what of a reprobate!!

If you weren't one before, you would become one real quick!!!!!!!!!!! There WAS an image to maintain, you understand....I cannot imagine how it would have been had we had female crew members back in the day!!!!!!!!!

Giz

I ended going to Clark after CCK, pulling an accompied tour, the house where I lived was right the corner from

the corner from the 4 Aces and Silver Peso. Flying with Lady Loads and Engineers came for me after I went back

to C-141s. The guy who goes by the handle Efltnor, said his name is Tom, I only knew one guy named Tom ole

Lurch Warya. who was a Crew Chief,

Best I can figure PI had 3 flyable herks 4704 and 4726 H models, and 3633 a B. All based at Mactan, Cebu.

They had 2 pretty well stripped and parked in the grass at Mactan 58-0738 (3535) or 58-0753 (3552) B's and 4512 an L100. They also had 2 mostly complete 58-0747 (3545) a B and 3946 an L100. Also at Mactan out on the ramp.

All the rest , 9 Herks, were sold, scrapped or crashed.

It looks like the storm went right over Mactan, so the ones caught on the ramp may be in worse shape.

If anyone gets to Mactan, could they give us an update.

Thanks

Bob

Finally was able to reach my dad. He said it was no big thing. It was like Irma in 74. Which took the roof off the house. Which was a 4.

He said if you lived in Manila and north, it was just really windy and felt like a regular typhoon. Neighbors GI sheeting in your yard. Floods. Knee deep water at the bar. Same old. But down south is more of a mess than it was before the typhoon hit.

If you are trying to reach friends or family, try facebook.