My USAF/RCAF FRANCE blog

LAURENT

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed looking at your blog. Spent a number of months flying out of Evereaux in 1966 as part of operation Cross Switch and was part of the base move from there to Mildenhall. As a Loadmaster I loaded a large percentage of the metal bed frames that were taken to England. I'm surprised they left the refrigerator. LOL

Laurent,

When I was stationed at Rhein Main the first time (1967/1970), I was told that the main gate there was originally to be erected at Evereaux, but since France had pulled out of NATO, it went to RM instead. Do you know anything about that story?

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling, of course

Don, I was stationed at RM AB from 62 to 66. Remember there was an overhead sign at the front gate that read, " Rhein Main AB, Gateway to Europe". Went through this gate many many times as it was the best route to Freddies. The sign was there when I arrived and was there when I rotated. Don't remember any major work/modification being accomplished on the gate during my tour.

Hopefully Laurent can provide additional clarification.

Thanks, Larry. Perhaps that main gate story was just another urban legend.

Freddies? Was that the German gasthaus in Buschlag on the right just across the railroad tracks? I seem to remember it being called Johnnie's. A really popular place for GI's owned by a little dark haired, wise-assed Austrian (I think).

Don R.

Don, I think we're talking about the same gasthaus. Though I remember it just before the railroad crossing and on the left side of the street leaving the base. It was, as you said, very popular with GIs. The fact it was but a mile or two from the front gate had to account for part of it's popularity. There was an outdoor patio that butted right up to the tracks.

The owner, Freddie was an old guy so it's likely he'd retired or passed on by your tour. He had an affinity for us and we liked him. When not busy he would set and talk with us. He once told us that during WW II as Germany was falling, if not for the US Army, he and his family would have starved to death.

I was in the RM area in 1982. A new road had been constructed including an overpass of the railroad. The original crossing next to Freddies while still open to pedestrian traffic had been closed to automobiles.