Why does it seem the 62-18 series where modified so often.

mark18mwm

Is there a reason that the 62-18xx planes seem to have been modified so often compared to other year E models? For instance at Rhein Main we had 62-1819, 62-1822, 62, 1828 that where all highly modified and may as well have been EC-130's. Then there where a bunch that where EC's, and some ABCCC's. To me it seems that the 62-18 planes are some of the most modified 130's. Is it just me thinking this or where they modified more often and if so, why them?

Those three were turned into what amounted to EC-130 in the mid-late 70's and sent to Germany to "eaves drop" on E. Germany until the wall came down. I think later they were turned back to cargo before being scrapped. The thing that made me curious was, on a couple other forums as well as here I have seen guys talking a fair amount about that series of 130's that had been converted from cargo to other variants, mostly EC's. It just seems to me that there was a lot of them, maybe more than others, that had some kind of mod's installed. Kind of like the 64-05XX seemed to be the popular plane for MC-130's, and am curious if there is anything in particular that made the 18's the choice for the EC's. Maybe they did not even have any more mods than any other series and I am just reading more into it then there is because I worked the three at RM. and notice the 18XX series number more often when I see it.

There were only 16 61 E models, 7 became DC's and 3 became WC's, one was a JC and the rest were trainers. So when they started to modify E's it fell to the 62's. 10 became E-II's later called ABCCC. 5 were modified for the MEAFSA Middle East Africa Sxx Axxx( I think SA was Sub-Saharan Africa) mission. It had a bunch of code names Coronet Rivet was one, I'll look to see if I can find the other names. It has all been declassified but they looked like regular trash haulers but had cameras under the floor.

5 were modified 62-1819, 62-1820, 62-1822, 62-1827, 62-1828. 36 TAS flew them. Langley got them from MATS.

When MEAFSA went away three 62-1819, 62-1822, 62-1828 were converted for 7405 OS, the Berlin for Lunch Bunch, taking pictures in the Corridors from Rhein Main. Then they went to the 310 MAS at Howard doing the same thing in South America.

They went to Reno ANG for a short time and then to AMARC where they were scrapped. The other two were demoded after MEAFSA and became regular trash haulers again.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I was crew chief on 1819 in 85-86, and never knew about the MEAFSA history, I had never heard of it. I like that this is all declassified now as I am learning more and more of what I wish I knew then about these birds. Thanks for shedding some light as to why so many 62 E models had been modified. I was just wondering if there was a particular difference in the air frame, or electric sys etc. for this, but your explanation with the 61's makes sense. Now I gotta study up on MEAFSA history, thanks. I pity them guys that sat in SR-71 & U-2's, couldn't get up and stretch their legs on the way back to take a leak get a fresh cup of Coffey, and warm up their dinner. All they would have needed to do is get back down to a reasonable altitude, slow the hell down and cross train to a 130 to do the same thing, Ha-Ha.

I ran into Benny Vetetto who was squadron commander of the Berlin for Lunch Bunch about that time at a Reunion last year.

He is doing well, retired in Hot Springs AR. I have been attempting a clean out of my office and I have some info on MEAFSA Pacer Coin and if I find it I'll post it.

I also ran into Bill Heaphy, he was a MEAFSA nav, he is retired and living in Maine. I'll look for his e mail.

Bob