JATO mount points

jbob

hi folks my name is frank Thomas, and yes I'm an oae. (old Antarctic explorer) I was a L/m with vxe-6 from 79 to 81 we would typically do 6 jato shots a season, if I remember correctly we would rig the freight for 8 g restraint (combat load) and if we could not achieve about 55 kts. we would not even fire the jato, we would instead make several high speed taxi runs then try it again in previously established tracks and hope we didn't run out of gas, this was all open field work, no prepared ski ways. my job during takeoff was to strap into a gunners belt, stand on the ramp, where I could look out both paratroop door windows to confirm an 8 bottle blast or a misfire, usually I was hanging on too the parachute extraction release rack. sometimes to ensure an aft. c/g 27.5 or higher, we strap the pax. on the ramp using 5k straps as seatbelts. I've often said that this is the most fun youre gonna have with youre clothes on. hopefully this will answer a few questions. frank t vxe-6 / vq-3 / vr-62

I've made several on the Greenland Ice Cap in the old D-models. It was a requirement for A/C upgrade. 55 knots was about right for firing. The pitch attitude was fairly severe and caution was required in order to get the nose lowered just before the bottles burned out or you would be left hanging, literally. Much fun for the pilots, but the installation was dreaded out on the cap because it was not possible to ground for static electricity, and we were all wearing the nylon winter flight gear.