Help needed with a screenplay

Captain Howdy

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a slightly unusual request. I'm a screenplay writer based in London and I'm currently putting the finishing touches to a script where all the action takes place inside a C130. The problem is, I have absolutely no knowledge of aviation whatsoever and have written myself into a bit of a corner so I'm desperately hoping someone might be able to help me out of it!

The film is a real-time thriller, set entirely in flight (I'll spare you details unless you really want to hear them!) and our hero needs to communicate with the ground - the problem is, communications have been compromised due to gunfire on board (I had read somewhere that some C130 models had dual antenna; one for transmitting, one for receiving - our guys can hear but they can't speak)

No mobile phones are on board and if our guys can't speak with the ground soon then two F16s are going to take them out - can anyone think of a clever way for these guys to get some kind of comms up and running? I should point out that they're civilians (but one of them could conveniently be a communications engineer!)

Although I wouldn't want to offend C130 purists, this is just a movie so not all suggestions need be 100% logical to the technology available on current models.

Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated - and for what it's worth I'm more than happy to give consultant credits on the film when we get into production.

Many thanks and regards,

Kevin

Considering there are several radios spanning A LOT of frequencies pretty hard to lose all communications but its a movie so OK.... Sent you a message send some of the details so I know if this guy has a Swiss Army Knife and a roll of duct tape.

Only just saw this reply, just responded to your private message but didn't mention anything about the extra kit on board. Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to work in duct tape and a Swiss Army Knife - I'm intrigued! Do please tell.

Not many places to hide in a Herc. Might want to consider it being an airborne communications model with a capsule inside. Tons of extra communications and a couple rooms. Narrow passageways around it and up on top as well. As to the standard comms, others will help.

Thanks for adding your thoughts. I like your thinking but for this story it works better that these guys are exposed and vulnerable - having nowhere to hide adds to the tension (I didn't mention it before but they're not alone up there!)

Wow, there's a ton of useful info in that - thanks so much! The problem I might still face though is that these guys are civilians and won't have access to those procedures or knowledge of the C-130 or its comms - they're as clueless as me!

Considering how many radios the Herc had when I flew (2 UHF, VHF, FM, 2 HF), I can only imagine that they have even more now. But that being said, if they carry parachutes, there's a possibility that there are emergency radios with the chutes, etc. Hell, for that matter beat the crap out of the ELT in hopes that it goes off.

How about firing flares out of one of the exits i.e. overhead escape or paratroop door. Flares are a maritime indicator of distress.

Fire the flares out of the Safety Valve in the back. The hatches are too much to deal with. QUESTION: If these guys have NO C-130 knowledge..... who is flying the plane?

I think you're right. Or was it Executive Decision? I can't remember. But it's definitely been done.

Thanks for joining in the conversation guys!

I think it was Executive Decision. They used the fax machine in Air Force One.

I like the safety valve. You'd have to climb all the way up on the ramp, but maybe instead of a flare, just use a flashlight or feed out a white flag. The F-16s might get the wrong message from a flare being shot in their direction.

There are rules of engagement.

Why do they want to shoot you down?

Are there snakes on the plane?

Just tip the wings and follow the F-16’s to a friendly airport.

Good point. Are the good guys in control of the plane? If the radios are out, rocking the wings is a sign of compliance with the interception by the F-16s.

This is an interesting thread! I agree with GACGuy: who's flying the plane? Also agree with Podboy: there are a ton of ways to keep from being shot down, but along about here my wife would tell me: "It's just a movie"! One thing did come to mind. Back in the real old days of 1963, 1964 and 1965 E models there was a flare "port" built into the apparatus the navigator used for his sextant readings. The flare gun and flares were an item on the pre flight check list. One of the things I noticed when I visited with my old bird (#877) a couple years ago is that that complete assembly had been removed and plain flat panel installed. If Captain Howdy were to use something like a flare signal we all could assume that the airplane is an old "E" !

I may well be mistaken, but wasn't there a hand held signal light (like a hand help spot light) on board to communicate in Morse code with out radios? i seem to remember one being there with several different colored lenses, I think red and green.

There was a a hand held lamp, it was called an "Aldis Lamp". Spelling might be wrong:-))

Too much info missing, like addressed previous. Everybody on board a "friendly"? Bad guys flying the bird? "Friendlies" free to roam in back? All electrical out? How about IFF? Rock wings and put gear down.

Executive Decision - used nav lights as Morse code

Air Force One - fax machine

All else fails, open ramp and door and moon them! Or if hot chick on board, get her naked and standing on the ramp. Fighter pukes will forget what they're up there for.

I am confused about who is who as well. Any radio on the aircraft will be heard on the interphone, so that is pretty much out. To answer the question about two antennas, one for transmitting, one for receiving, no it doesn't work that way. If a UHF or VHF antenna blade was broken off, it would still receive pretty well, but transmitting wouldn't go very far. That being said, antenna connectors are reachable on the ceiling of the aircraft.

To keep from getting shot down, a white t-shirt secured inside with a web seat strap and stuffed out the ramp valve would show distress.