First L-100

DC10FE

Sadly, this month the Philippine AF has broken up 3946, the first L-100 produced. It had immense historical value for us in the Herc community. Its first fligh on 4/20/64 lasted more than 24 hours! It's too bad Lockheed didn't take any steps to preserve it. It would've looked nice sitting in front of the hangar where it was built, painted in the red and white Lockheed demonstrator colors. You can check it out in the C-130 Database section.

Below are some photos from my friend, Joseph Simon. Some of you ex-Transafrik people may remember his as a Filipino mechanic in Luanda.

Don R.

Sadly, this month the Philippine AF has broken up 3946, the first L-100 produced. It had immense historical value for us in the Herc community. Its first fligh on 4/20/64 lasted more than 24 hours! It's too bad Lockheed didn't take any steps to preserve it. It would've looked nice sitting in front of the hangar where it was built, painted in the red and white Lockheed demonstrator colors. You can check it out in the C-130 Database section.

Below are some photos from my friend, Joseph Simon. Some of you ex-Transafrik people may remember his as a Filipino mechanic in Luanda.

Don R.

Any idea how many hours it had when was dismantled?

You're correct, P3. From what I've read though, this airframe started out early in its production as an E-model. Along the way, it picked up the differences associated with the L-100, such as the engine anti-icing lights and the Beta lights which I'm sure were an FAA certification requirement. Also interesting to note, on the commercial Herc, the only thing on the battery bus is the fire extinguishing system.

Don R.

You're correct, P3. From what I've read though, this airframe started out early in its production as an E-model. Along the way, it picked up the differences associated with the L-100, such as the engine anti-icing lights and the Beta lights which I'm sure were an FAA certification requirement. Also interesting to note, on the commercial Herc, the only thing on the battery bus is the fire extinguishing system.

Don R.

Thanks Don.