-15's vs -16's

f1drivr

I wish I could be more exact about this. The engines are indeed the same. Some of the installed equipment/accessories are slightly different. Something with NTS is different or added with the -16. I was trained in them many, many years ago to fly some Navy planes out of AMARC(AMARG now). I cannot remember specifics.

With the Series III engines and below, the Air Force took all the odd-number designations, and the Navy took the evens. From my experience, the -15 fuel control NSN cross-references with the -14 engine, not the -16. I have seen some websites that show the -16 has an HP rating of 4910 SHP vs 4591 SHP for the -15 listed on other websites, but never the same website listing both -15 and -16 numbers. I've seen SHP ratings for the same engine be different depending on the website I was looking at at the time, so it doesn't mean much. Just the fact that the fuel controls are different may suggest a difference in fuel control tuning.

• 7 months later...

Accessories. -16 have augmentation valves to help cool oil 15 don't. The parts all cross reference for the most part.

That is not true Shakes. The earlier AF H2s did not have oil cooler augmentation however the later models did indeed have those installed. To my knowledge the Navy -16s did not included Oil Cooler Aug either. Unsure about later models however.