C-130 performs emergency landing at Hill Air Force Base

jbob

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4303[/ATTACH]

HILL AIR FORCE BASE, OGDEN — A C-130 performed an emergency landing at Hill Air Force Base on Sunday afternoon.

The aircraft declared an inflight emergency and landed around 1 p.m. Sunday, according to a press release from Hill Air Force Base’s Office of Public Affairs.

"The aircraft was on a firefighting mission when the air crew became aware of a potential malfunction with the nose landing gear. The crew then executed an emergency landing," said Army Major Beth Smith of U.S. Northern Command.

The aircraft sustained minor damage, but none of the six crewmembers on the plane were injured, Smith said.

The C-130 came from the 153rd Air Refueling Wing with the Wyoming Air National Guard, the press release said.

Smith said the aircraft was under the command of the U.S. Northern Command.

“The aircrew was conducting fire-fighting missions and was scheduled to arrive (at Hill Air Force Base) to refuel and resupply,†the press release said.

According to Smith, U.S. Northern command conducted more than 131 air drops, and they dropped over 244,000 gallons of retardant this fire season alone.

"U.S. Northern Command was established in the wake of the terrorist attacks on 9/11, and is responsible for homeland defense and reports to civil authorities," Smith said.

View oringinal article: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31181238&nid=148&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-3

Image credit: http://fox13now.com/2014/08/17/photo-air-force-plane-makes-hard-landing-at-hill-air-force-base/

Edited by Casey
promotion to article

Not sure "they" put foam on the runways now but that is a question for CFR... What inquiring minds want to know is WHAT would have to happen to put you in a time crunch to where you would not be able to get the gear down.

Any Fire fighter guys out there in C-130 hercules.net world know if the "tanks" or whatever they have in back restricts access to the landing gear linkage?

Here you go

in case you want to watch the video (well not "the video" but close enough)

Not sure "they" put foam on the runways now but that is a question for CFR... What inquiring minds want to know is WHAT would have to happen to put you in a time crunch to where you would not be able to get the gear down.

Any Fire fighter guys out there in C-130 hercules.net world know if the "tanks" or whatever they have in back restricts access to the landing gear linkage?

Here you go

AFTER Closer examination the Main LG is Down only 8-) the NLG is UP... But the posted video is pretty cool....

Somebody on facebook said it was jacked up (I presume in place) and the gear dropped then towed away. It was also stated by a individual there was a "chase plane" looking it over before landing, so they must have known they were coming in without nose gear. Mind you those statements were on Facebook, and no one ever "makes up" any thing they put on the internet. As for the runway foam, I would say hard to say. I seen a C-5 land in Frankfurt in about 85-85 with no nose gear. The runway was foamed, but he had it flared out so long he flew thru the foam and onto bare concrete. If you watch the video and look in the pic jbob posted

you can see way behind the plane it looks like the runway is white, maybe that was the case here? Believe it or not that C-5 flew back to Dover the next day.

Honestly I had thought they quit foaming runway for gear up type landings. But I've been out a while and they do bring things back.

After having flown a buttload of post PDM FCFs and dropping the nose gear so many times via alternate means I've become a cynic when it comes to gear EPs.

Oh and which Facebook was this posted?

It was on the C-130 crew chief group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/184118368141/?fref=ts I can't find now where I seen the comment about a chase plane, unless somebody deleted it it should be there. I'll keep looking but no promises.

P.S. found it. It was on the news stations Facebook site, here's a link, it is mentioned in the comments section. https://www.facebook.com/fox13newsutah/photos/a.105864355585.125720.75831650585/10152604636315586/?type=1&theater

Here you go

News report says a small fire broke out after landing, so they probably foamed for that reason.

or they were bored:eek:

Did you get the license number of that airplane for the accident report.

Each C130 of the 153rd, Wyoming ANG has a Wyoming vehicle license plate. It is displayed in the lower pilots window. The state legislature authorized these a few years ago. I talked to a crew member at an air show in the spring and found this out.

For an update.......

I was told they lifted the nose with a crane and straps. As the nose cleared the ground the nose gear fell about a foot. At some point the crew chief applied power, flipped the emergency nose landing gear lever, turned on the aux pump and heard a bang and the gear fell down normally.

One of the support rods that the uplock is mounted to had broken off and had jammed the gear up. I guess the uplock had released but gear wouldn't fall but so far. The never pulled the inspection window. They dumped fuel and were bingo when they landed.

Pretty good landing so I heard. No fire as was reported. Also perhaps the arm may have been cracked for a period before.

This is all tentative.

For an update.......

They dumped fuel and were bingo when they landed.

This is all tentative.

It's been a very long time, but if I remember correctly, dumping down to the standpipes will leave you with almost 8,000 lbs of fuel. They must've been quite a distance from Hill to land with "bingo fuel."

Don R.