Knowing more about the Hotel variant

snickerbar

Hey there! I'm a newbie here, my first post. I'm not sure If I hit the right forum. For scale modelling.

Inquiry:

Most of US -H Hercs have only two windows on the (the other actually looks like a small door) starboard and no two long cables at the top. But I noticed that few have two long cables at the top and three windows on the starboard. They are -H variants but they have differences?

BTW, the kit I'm working on is the Minicraft 1/144 C-130H USAF [MC14649]. The kit's tooling has three starboard windows.

Thank you

The circle windows on the right side, just behind the cockpit area. Some have 3, mostly 2.

This one has one window and the other has become like a small door, the one at the wing root now becomes a window, but no long cables/wires at the top:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-Martin-C-130H/2489688/&sid=48c8a05a90db3f7206a6ab80991f2ee7

And...

This one has three windows, with long cables/wires at the top:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-C-130H-Hercules/2456473/&sid=48c8a05a90db3f7206a6ab80991f2ee7

Ah...he's talking about one's that moved the right (starboard) side escape hatch behind the prop arc

The two long wires were replaced by other forms of the same antenna.

I think the window reference concerns the cargo compartment windows. The later H models have an emergency escape hatch on the port and starboard side as compared to the older E's and H's which had the escape hatch on the left hand side only. The long wires on top were the old HF antennas that have been replaced on later models. I have been on A/C's before that the antenna broke loose in flight and the had a tendency to make some racket beating against the fuselage! As far as modeling, I would suggest finding pictures of specific prototypes and modeling to that specific configuration since there are so many variations.

I think the window reference concerns the cargo compartment windows. The later H models have an emergency escape hatch on the port and starboard side as compared to the older E's and H's which had the escape hatch on the left hand side only. The long wires on top were the old HF antennas that have been replaced on later models. I have been on A/C's before that the antenna broke loose in flight and the had a tendency to make some racket beating against the fuselage! As far as modeling, I would suggest finding pictures of specific prototypes and modeling to that specific configuration since there are so many variations.

my observation on the photos I've gathered, those with long wires on top have three windows on the forward right/starboard portion. Those without the long wires on top have a window and an escape hatch only on the same spot.

This Herc's camouflage paint caught my attention. BTW, is this a standard paint scheme? Good thing I can also use some of the kit's decals especially the American flag, AFRC, and the "Pittsburgh". All I need is help to find photos as paint guide!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-C-130H-Hercules/0278156/L/&sid=48c8a05a90db3f7206a6ab80991f2ee7

Thanks!

There have been so many paint schemes over the years. If you look up at the top of the page, in Gallery, there are tens of thousands of pictures. The removal of the HF longwires pretty much occurred with the 84 year group and on. The shunt antenna is installed behind a fiberglass panel at the forward base of the tail. The J-model has a rubber anti-ice boot installed on it. This was around Lockheed production number 5030 something.

There have been so many paint schemes over the years. If you look up at the top of the page, in Gallery, there are tens of thousands of pictures. The removal of the HF longwires pretty much occurred with the 84 year group and on. The shunt antenna is installed behind a fiberglass panel at the forward base of the tail. The J-model has a rubber anti-ice boot installed on it. This was around Lockheed production number 5030 something.

That would be the European 1 paint scheme...common up until circa 92-94.