ENG ICE DETECTOR

munirabbasi

At one point in time all engines had ice detectors, made it nice because we always had a spare. Sometime in the mid 80's the manufacture ran into a problem with faulty detectors so our good spare detectors were removed from 1 and 4 to take care of the demand, unfortunately they never replaced them.

Ron

Tiny clark

thanks for useful contribution, still i could not clear my query, ICE detection system, no aircraft wiring for #1 & 4 if we removed inboard engines ice detectors & installed on outboard engines, is system will work? No so why ice detections are provided from in inboard engines. is it due aerodynamic reaction.

Regards

Munir Abbasi

Home of hercules Pakistan

Munir Abbasi

I don't know Munir, I am not an engineer. It could be due to aerodynamic reaction from the nose of the aircraft that would make the inboard engines ice up faster, so there is no need for outboard detectors. Maybe they decided that there is no difference, and it would not be worth running the wiring for two more engines.

And yes, if you ran the #3 wiring to engine #4 and installed the detector, it would probably work. But, if the inboard engines do ice up faster, then it may cause serious problems. Also, you would have to find room in the wing disconnect connectors for the wiring.