C-130 News: Aviation Week looks back at the C-130

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4482[/ATTACH]

Aviation Week is approaching its 100th anniversary in 2016. In a series of blogs, their editors are highlighting editorial content from the magazine's long and rich history, including viewpoints from the industry's most iconic names and stories that have helped change the shape of the industry. One of those reports is a December 3, 1956 issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology.

Take a look here:

USAF Receives Highly Versatile C-130 (part 1)

USAF Receives Highly Versatile C-130 (part 2)

Perhaps it is a B-47 mod line? With that swept wing, the only other thing it could be is a JetStar, but that didn't fly until 1957 and it's too small anyway. My curiosity is peaked.

Kevin,

Aircraft on the far line are indeed B-47s.

I'm guessing this is a mod line because the closest aircraft has a fin stripe. One, most likely, would not find this stripe on a new aircraft coming down the production line.

I went to tech school on B-47's at Amarillo AFB Tx. in 1963 and was very interested in the article. A little research on the net shows 394 B-47's built at Lockheed as well as 28 modified for "Weather Recon and Atmospheric Sampling". Those were probably the ones with the stripe on the vertical fin as noted above. Also a bit of interest that is well known at Dobbins ARB ( which shares the runway with Lockheed) is about the B-47 that crashed into the lake at the on-base Fam Camp. They still won't let you fish in the lake because of the contamination. The lake is within a stones throw of where The C-130 HTTB crashed in 1993. Bill