frequency of prop checks

herky400M

hello C130 world, can any one tell me at what frequency a prop check is done?

once every X-flight hours, calendar day's

how do you do it? pressurized dip stick/atmospheric dipstick/over servicing tool???

thx 4 coop

the best wishes and a healthy 2015!!:D

herky400M

Herky400;

dueing my days with the ANG, the A-6 stated Prop. service check every 15 day. Now the prefered method is by the unpressurized sump and long dip stick. However, this involves 2 people to perform and is more accurate and prevents lip seal leaks in my experience. Checking and servicing via the pressurized sump is easier.

I agree with Ramrod. The key is that, when you check using the atmospheric sump, you are checking the servicing level in a similar way to how the aircrew operate the prop, that is, with a pressure and scavenge pump running. The barrel and pressurized sump both overflow into the atmospheric (beta feedback shaft and sump relief valve), so if you have the right amount of fluid in the atmospheric, your prop should be serviced properly in the barrel and pressurized sump. This requires that #1 blade point to the top. The problem is when the pitchlock regulator orifice cups become clogged and doesn't properly fill the barrel. The pressurized sump will always be full, and the atmospheric will always be empty.

The pressurized sump is inaccurate because it is not an accurate reflection of how much fluid is in the barrel. Maintainers find the pressurized sump comforting because they like to think the prop is telling them exactly how many quarts are required instead of servicing the atmospheric sump 5cc at a time.

the first question was what kind of intervals are U guys using? day's, flight hours

what we have, is an oil trace/evidence of oil between 6 and 7 'o clock, assuming that the tec's are doing there servicing correct, what other possibilities can do this evil issue:

oval pumphousing, malfunctioning pumps, clogged orifices.....

I know that almost every nation has problems with oil leaks, still looking for any answers

thx 4 coop, herky400M

I was agreeing with Ramrod about the interval too, 15 days. In your case though, It might be more appropriate to address it from a standpoint of leakage limitations. As long as your tec's are checking the propeller thoroughly for leaks, I wouldn't worry about "trace/evidence" unless the engine is ingesting enough hydraulic fluid to become noticeable in the Air Conditioning.

The propeller control is allowed to leak 1 drop every 45 seconds, whether operating or static. Nothing else is allowed to leak, unless it's freezing outside, in which case, warm the propeller up first before doing a fluid leak inspection.

Sometimes, when people "X" the props, some fluid might stream out. This is normal due to accumulation from minor seepage collecting in the rear spinner, then suddenly being released by the drain holes located half-way between the blades on the rear spinner.

• 1 month later...