C130A w/4 bladed props

eaglecrest61

There was talk of replacing the three bladed props back in the 60's but nothing was done about it until after Jul 1975 when they killed a crew from the 63 TAS on 57-0454 in Michigan when a prop failed. Then almost all the remaining USAF A's got 4 bladed props

Bob

There was talk of replacing the three bladed props back in the 60's but nothing was donre about it until after Jul 1975 when they killed a crew from the 63 TAS on 57-0454 in Michigan when a prop failed. Then almost all the remaining USAF A's got 4 bladed props

Bob

When I was at Lockbourne in '69 there was two A models with 4 bladed props. I was told they were there for testing.

After 8 years on E models, in 1976 I was assigned to the AMST (later C-17) program office at Wright-Patterson and attached to the 4450th Test Wing for flying. They had two A models, 55-0022 and 55-0024. I was dreading the thought of being pounded by those 3-bladed props. I almost fainted from relief when I got to the flight line and discovered 4-bladed props on both of them. Interestingly enough, they got other C-130 models in for specific test programs. In getting my required 4 hours a month I was also able to fly on C-130H, AC-130 and MC-130 types. Mostly testing new sensor systems. The bad news was we had to maintain multiple sets of pubs. Major pain for a part time flyer.