C-130A s/n 57-0460 Engine Logs

WarbirdPilot91

Hello, my name is Austin Hancock, and I am a volunteer with the National Warplane Museum (Geneseo, NY.)

Our museum has the opportunity to acquire a Lockheed C-130A, serial number 57-0460, from the Smithsonian. We are searching for the engine logs for the Allison T56-A-1A turboprop powerplants. We are hoping that someone may be able to help us, or at least point us in the right direction(s.) So far, I've written to Maxwell AFB, who had no info for us. Also, I have written to Rolls-Royce (Allison engine) and Lockheed-Martin (plane manuf), and had no response yet.

Any help you could give us would be of most assistance. Thank you in advance!

Best,

Austin Hancock

Lots of luck Warbird pilot. Just an outside chance that the last outfit who owned the bird might still have them but is not likely. When this acft. was taken off the books all records would have been sent with the acft. to the Smithsonian or to the AF museum in Dayton or destroyed by the last military unit that owned it. When we got Ghost Rider, they flew it into Dobbins ARB and the only thing I ended up with was the 781 Forms and binder. Course we were going to display it not fly it...what are you going to do with it?;) Bill

Lots of luck Warbird pilot. Just an outside chance that the last outfit who owned the bird might still have them but is not likely. When this acft. was taken off the books all records would have been sent with the acft. to the Smithsonian or to the AF museum in Dayton or destroyed by the last military unit that owned it. When we got Ghost Rider, they flew it into Dobbins ARB and the only thing I ended up with was the 781 Forms and binder. Course we were going to display it not fly it...what are you going to do with it?;) Bill

​Thanks, Bill!

We are just planning to use it for static display, but we would like to have the logs on hand "just in case." 

When that plane was delivered to the Smithsonian, It should have been delivered with a full aircraft jacket file including the AFTO 95's for each engine. Unless they disposed of the jacket file (they shouldn't have), the Smithsonian has it...someplace. It is either on the aircraft in a box or the NASM has it stored in a file cabinet someplace (probably at the Garber Facility).  There is a chance that the NMUSAF has it if they retained ownership of the plane...but typically, the jacket file goes with the aircraft to the possessing museum for storage.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear the airplane is being saved. She has a unique history and I was disappointed that the NASM decided several years ago not to display her...

I sure hope that you are able to get 460.One of my daughters visited the A&S museum and asked about the aircraft (I had told her that it had been one of our acft. at Evreux).The person she spoke to knew nothing of the acft. Didn't  even know they had it.

As great as that museum is sometimes it just leaves you scratching your head!

This what I have on this ACFT.

57-0460

C-130A

C-130A-45-LM

182-1A

Delivered in Mar 1958.

To 317th TCW by 25 Sep 1958.

To 322nd AD on 25 Sep 1958.

To 317th TCW on 15 Apr 1963.

To 40th TAS (Tail code OB) in Jun 1964.

To 304th TAS (Tail code UB) in Jun 1971.

Loaned to 63rd TAS from Aug 1971 thru Mar 1972 transferred in

Oct 1972.

To SVAF (Tail code HCF) in Nov 1972 with the 435 Transport.

Squadron.

During the fall of Saigon this aircraft was flown from Tan Son

Nhut AB, South vietnam to Sinapore carring 350 Vietnamese.

Returned to the USAF in Apr 1974.

To 16th SOS in Aug 1975.

To 704th TAS in Jan 1976.

To 63rd TAS in Sep 1976.

To 95th TAS in Apr 1987.

To National Air and Space Museum, Udar-Hazy Center, VA

Jan 1989.

• 1 year later...

Warbird pilot 91. I know this is very late into this thread but I just came upon it. Did you get 460? I was in the 63rd TAS and 927 TAG when they owned this aircraft. I don't know if you know the history of the time the Vietnamese Air Force pilot "stole" this aircraft and flew his family out of Vietnam. One of our pilots ran into him (I think in Miami) and he and his family were invited to visit our unit. We had a large autographed photo of 460 displayed until our unit converted to the KC-135 in the early 90's. One day I saw one of our pilots with the photo and followed him out to the dumpster where he planned on dumping it. I said "hold on a minute, that photo is a piece of history". I still own the photo and have been trying to find someone to take it and put it in a good home. If you did acquire this aircraft, would you like this photo?

• 9 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 6:17 PM, Frank said:

Warbird pilot 91. I know this is very late into this thread but I just came upon it. Did you get 460? I was in the 63rd TAS and 927 TAG when they owned this aircraft. I don't know if you know the history of the time the Vietnamese Air Force pilot "stole" this aircraft and flew his family out of Vietnam. One of our pilots ran into him (I think in Miami) and he and his family were invited to visit our unit. We had a large autographed photo of 460 displayed until our unit converted to the KC-135 in the early 90's. One day I saw one of our pilots with the photo and followed him out to the dumpster where he planned on dumping it. I said "hold on a minute, that photo is a piece of history". I still own the photo and have been trying to find someone to take it and put it in a good home. If you did acquire this aircraft, would you like this photo?

Here it is as of June 27, 2017 at Dulles Airport south east of runway 12/30.

20170627_130938.jpg

• 1 year later...

WarbirdPilot91,

I flew on 57-0460 with the 95 TAS which was part of the 440th AW Wing in Milwaukee, WI. which was hit by BRAC and moved to Pope AFB in NC.

It was a Milwaukee aircrew that flew it to the aircraft to the Smithsonian. I logged many hours on this aircraft until we got our new C-130 H Models.