64-4859

hehe

Anyone have the scoop on this tail #?

Started life as an HC-130H and its in the old fulton recovery films also seen pictures with ODS rails installed on it

Then it went to an EC-130H?  

Then it was a C-130E with UARSSI but it still had the extended gear pods that the EC-130H's have

Then it was modded back to EC-130H? All pictures I have seen make me think it was the TC-130H at DM

The picture that is attached is what really threw me for a loop.  It is clearly an old hc-130 (scanner window) with ec-130h extended gear pods and uarrsi but it has a spectre (AC-130) patch painted above the crew door?

Was this some kind of test bed for gunships?  It seems to certainly be a frankenherk

medium.4082L.jpg.5e238d4feb8b99b21b5abce75b7e4727.jpg

Edited by hehe

Yes it was the TC-H.  It left DM and went to Waco and was sitting out there being used every so often for flight training and a little flight test bed stuff until they EC program was given an unmodified acft to be used as a true flying test bed.  Just curious, when was this photo taken?  I was out at Waco Aug 2014 and it was still sitting there at Waco (waiting for final disposition).

• 4 weeks later...

I think this aircraft was at Hurlburt for a while and used as an inflight refueling trainer for new Spectre crews prior to doing an actual inflight refueling with an AC130H. It was also used for pilot pro work at Hurlburt if I remember correctly.

thanks!  That makes sense

• 8 months later...
On October 5, 2015 at 1:23 AM, Steve A said:

I think this aircraft was at Hurlburt for a while and used as an inflight refueling trainer for new Spectre crews prior to doing an actual inflight refueling with an AC130H. It was also used for pilot pro work at Hurlburt if I remember correctly.

This is incorrect.  It left mildenhall heading for amarg.  When it arrived at Cannon, the commander there decided they could use her as an equipment hauler.  They only had gunships, and no way to transport equipment.  They spent a month spinning it up and used it like crazy right off the bat.  I don't know what happened after that, but that is how she ended up getting that nose art.

What is incorrect?

The aircraft was at HRL until 2005 doing the training described above.

It went to Moldyhole and left there heading to AMARG. Shortstopped for awhile at Cannon. Then to AMARG, from AMARG it went to AFMC at Waco, last I heard it was parked there withdrawn from use.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Boy I remember when 14859 went through PDM at Robins in 2001.   It got the SCNS mod and the Auto-Pilot mod installed.   When it showed up for us to fly it that's when the issues began.    I've still got the old emails between the 339th and the SPO/LU/LB and others trying to figure out what -1 and 1-1 data to use to fly this thing.   Talk about Frankenherc.   lol

The new auto-pilot was hooked up to the wrong Pitot static system.  And then there was an issue about with SCNS OFP should be installed.

Here is a quote from one of the emails: 

Currently, the most complete documentation is an undated "Training Use only" Memo from the 16 Ops group.  It seems to me that a SPO engineer should be the technical review authority for this aircraft, not an AFSOC flight engineer.

They(the 16th) were operating on an outdated Op Sup that was locally produced, was supposed to be reviewed every 180 days but no one at the SPO at Robins maintained any such records.

• 2 weeks later...

We picked it up at Duke in 99. Promptly oversped the gear on a three engine go-around. Quite a bit lighter and faster than the gunship. It had its very own sup to the -1. It had the two probe Rosemount pitot system with emergency procedures for it in secIII. I don't remember which 1-1 we used. I also don't remember a Training Use Only memo. The airplane itself was Training Use Only for us, at least until I retired anyway.