Veterans Day 2015

tinwhistle

O.K. guys, I need your help, or rather your advice, or suggestions, or any assistance you may provide. Each year the Social Studies teacher at the local High School sponsors a Veterans Day observance at the H.S. Very well done, very respectful, but the last couple years it seems as though it has turned into more of a Memorial Day observance, complete with bag pipes, Danny Boy, that sort of thing. I have been asked to be involved in the plans for this years observance. I know what I'd like changed, but not what to replace it with. For instance; the music. The H.S. School choir always sings as well as the band (or part of) plays, that's where Danny Boy comes in. Any suggestions as to what the choir and/or band should contribute? One of the things the VFW has done in past is to fold and present the Flag. Always to a local (civilian) figure. I think that little tribute should be given to a veteran. What do ya think? What about the speaker? last year they had the local CVSO speak. She wasn't too bad. A couple years ago they had a local lawyer/judge (Vietnam era veteran) speak, also pretty good. Each year they have a roll call of local vets that have "passed", complete with the ding of a bell as each name is called. Once again it seems a bit Memorial Day-ish. But maybe not, what's your thoughts? As I said, I'm looking for ideas.......

tinwhistle  aka  Chris

Maybe instead of playing Danny Boy or anything like that , how about a medley of all five services songs. here is a YouTube  video of what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqsExfQc_w Is there a local Guard or Reserve unit that might be able to show up with a Humvee or a truck that might be like something used in any of the current wars?  Possibly a local service man/ woman who served in the sandbox that is young enough to relate to the kids, on account of they don't seem to be interested in us old farts. Just a couple ideas. Thanks for taking the interest in helping the kids understand the meaning of veterans day. Does sound "Memorial Day-ish", to me that sort of waters down both days, just my opinion.  Maybe a telling about somebody like Audie Murphy,  Richard Bong, SGT.Alvin York eddy Rickenbacker, etc. A personal  story about guy like might keep their attention.

Thanks Mark, I really like the "Medley"  idea, and I'm sure it will be accepted!! Just before I sat down here I was thinking of contacting the PR Dept. at Truax (Madison) to see if they had someone to speak. As I'm typing this I'm thinking back to this past summer when I spoke to the ROTC on the UW campus in Madison; they might have a speaker too. Again, thanks!

Any one else with an idea or two feel free to chime in.........

Agree with Mark, as for the flag, maybe the civilian figure could pass the flag to a veteran... We the military "work" for our civilian population and then that civilian population gives thanks to a veteran for the sacrifices and service. I would keep the bell tolling at the conclusion that is kind of special and would cement the thought in everyone's mind that the Freedoms we have are not free.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

A little late in getting back, however, our local Veterans Day observation went well. As previously mentioned one of the local civics teachers is the force behind the day's activities and he insists that the bag pipes be there as well as "Danny Boy", so that's that. I don't know how to do "links" but if you Google the "Portage Daily Register" newspaper for the 12th of Nov. there is a pretty decent article.

• 4 weeks later...