Four Horsemen Vid

donwon

44 minutes ago, AMPTestFE said:

At 3:15 into the video, looking at the tail numbers, 56-0502 was written off in 12/65, so I'd guess no later than 1965.  However, I'm quite sure the 3-bladed prop was long gone well before then.

The 3 bladed prop was still in use when I got out in Nov of 66.

There were a lot of complaints about reliability and parts for the 3 bladed prop, but USAF did not care because they were all in the AFRES/ANG.

On 26 July 1975, 63TAS A 57-0454 on a low level, #3 prop came apart, one of the blades took out #4, the aircraft rolled over and all were killed.

It forced the USAF to start replacing all the three bladed props.

Bob

5 hours ago, bobdaley said:

There were a lot of complaints about reliability and parts for the 3 bladed prop, but USAF did not care because they were all in the AFRES/ANG.

On 26 July 1975, 63TAS A 57-0454 on a low level, #3 prop came apart, one of the blades took out #4, the aircraft rolled over and all were killed.

It forced the USAF to start replacing all the three bladed props.

Bob

This is not quite right. I was in the 317th TAW at Lockbourne AFB, OH up through 1969 when I went Guam.

At the time I left there was one aircraft undergoing the mod from three bladed props to four blades. It was in the Jumbo hanger. Don't remember the tail number

I went thru It one day while my aircraft 53-3134 was in phase inspection. And it sure was tore up, Props off, Sta 245 and barrels of sand in the fwd part of the cargo compartment.

The three to four blade conversions were started officially in late 78.  Most of the aircraft mods were completed at PDM.  When Reagan came to office and began to rebuild the US Military after the devastating Carter years it was decided to keep the A model fleet going past the 1982 intended retirement.  So all aircraft that were selected to remain "on duty" (about 2/3rds of the original fleet), got new center wings and were scheduled for 54H60's.

56-0473 which is the last known surviving Horsemen aircraft and flown by Bill Hatfiels in the film, made it's final flight from Visalia California to Castle Airport just before Thanksgiving.  We donated the aircraft to the Castle Air Museum where it will be restored to it's Horsemen configuration and placed on display to honor all veteran air lifters.  It was an arduous task after sitting for 13 years.  It took a huge effort but with volunteers from the Castle Air Museum, 129th Rescue Wing Moffett Federal Airfield and TBM Inc. we flew the old girl one last time.  473's final flight crew was PIC: William "Bill Bosley, Co-Pilot John Arp, Flight Engineer, yours truely.

All the C-130's I crewed in the 41 TAS at Naha, 68-69, had three bladed props. We flew to CRB and back many times, Just real noisy, but I was young and dumb and didn't mind the noise. As far as I can remember, we had very few prop write-ups. It could just be old age though!!!

One could spend a lot of time getting them right but they didn't stay right for long.One Flt.Mech. said to me after a flight "You've got some good props on this acft.It sounds like one engine running out there".3 flights later and here we go again.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:20 PM, mark18mwm said:

Here is a bit of history on them. Article say's they flew from 58 to 60. Pretty short time really. http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=49

Indeed, it was a short time. I went back over the film clip again and the only automobile I could identify for sure was a '57 Buick. Any way I know now that it was in the 58 to 60 time frame. Here's another question: the last scene, what kind of sports car is that?? At first I thought is was a Triumph, but upon second thought I'm not sure.

13 hours ago, tinwhistle said:

Indeed, it was a short time. I went back over the film clip again and the only automobile I could identify for sure was a '57 Buick. Any way I know now that it was in the 58 to 60 time frame. Here's another question: the last scene, what kind of sports car is that?? At first I thought is was a Triumph, but upon second thought I'm not sure.

Chris, I think it's a 58-59 Jaguar XK150.