C-130 News: C-130 cargo plane "retires" from Montana Air National Guard

casey

572cbeddd6689_2016-05-0273-1598.jpg.4bb8

Airmen with the Montana Air National Guard came together on Monday to honor one of their own that will soon retire: a C-130 cargo plane.

The C-130 Hercules transport aircraft bears the tail number 73-1598.  (c/n 4573)

When the plane was being built in 1973 at a manufacturing plant in Marietta, Georgia,  President Richard Nixon was in office, the popular television series "M*A*S*H" was in production, and the price of a first-class stamp was eight cents.

This C-130 has been stationed Little Rock Air Force Base (Arkansas), Clark Air Base (Philippines) Travis AFB (California, Dyess AFB (Texas), and finally made its way to join the Montana Air National Guard in 2014.  

Master Sergeant Thomas Pisano, 120th Airlift Wing C-130 crew chief, says over its 43 years of service, this C-130 has racked up more than 24,000 flight hours.

It is slated to become the next aircraft to be placed on display for public viewing and it will join the fighter aircraft that is already on display at the MT ANG site. 

"I think it is fantastic that this is going to be out in the air park. I hope that every one that does come up here is able to enjoy it. One thing I have always noticed we do a lot of tours up here and the kids absolutely love it so I hope they get something out of it as well," Pisano said. 

Pisano says there are a lot of airmen who deserve to be recognized for the work that they have done with this C-130.

Source: http://www.kxlh.com/story/31869283/c-130-cargo-plane-retires-from-montana-air-national-guard

View full article