MLG torque Strut

munirabbasi

From what I understand, the main purpose of the torque strut is to maintain wheel alignment. It will move back and forth just a little to absorb loads on the two landing gear struts. There is no need for pressure inside the unit. 

Unfortunately, there is very little info in the tech orders.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:37 PM, tinyclark said:

From what I understand, the main purpose of the torque strut is to maintain wheel alignment. It will move back and forth just a little to absorb loads on the two landing gear struts. There is no need for pressure inside the unit. 

Unfortunately, there is very little info in the tech orders.

Tiny is correct on both counts.Once the weight is off the gear it will hang to a pretty much neutral position.On the ground on a straight ahead taxi the side loads will drop to "0" after just a few feet of travel.The fore/aft loads will be taken care of by the pins when they engage the shelf brackets.(remember those pesky shelf bracket bushings?)

• 1 month later...

Okay so one of the people above me asked me for a job guide on mlg wheel alignment. Now idk if he is just messing with me as a joke or this is a serious thing. Everyone I work with thinks he is sending me on a wild goose chase. So idk. I would appreciate an answer though. Thank you. 

Years ago I had the chance to disassemble all the torque struts of our fleet in order to perform a detailed NDI inspection and can conferm it's just a piston free to move inside a cylinder.

Its purpose is to keep the wheels perfectly aligned both on and off ground. Drag pins, once they are engaged in the shelf bracket, lock the shock struts in DOWN position but the cylinders, with the wheels attached, would be free to spin without the Torque Strut conecting them each other.

The extension of the Torque Strut is enough to have one gear completely extended and the other one completely retracted with no interference.