C-130 News: C-130s making final return trip to Falls air base

casey

2016-09-16 Niagara.jpg

Three C-130 Hercules aircraft are scheduled to return to the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Sation on Sunday from a deployment in support of Operation Inherent Resolve. 

Their arrival will signal an historic moment as it will represent the final C-130 return for the 914th Airlift Wing, ending a legacy of more than 40 years with the unit.

The 914 Airlift Wing Commander, Col. Brian Bowman and families of returning military members will be waiting to welcome the Airmen as they return from a long tour of duty. There will be stations provided by Airmen and Family Readiness to entertain attendees and prepare for the historic return.

"I could not be more proud of our Airmen," said Bowman. "Their efforts overseas showcased the 914th Airlift Wing as a hardworking, professional organization."

The C-130 Hercules is a four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft designed for troop, medivac, and cargo transport. The aircraft have utilized airmen as pilots, navigators, loadmasters, flight engineers and medical evacuation personnel to perform many of the unique functions in the 914 AW for more than four decades. The experience not only serves as an opportunity to recognize the unit members who deployed to support the global mission, but to reflect on the memories and importance of the airlift mission. 

The airlift wing is switching to flying KC-135 refueling tankers as part of a new mission that's seen as crucial to the future of the air base. The Air Force is retiring some of the C-130 fleet to save money.

"The C-130s have served this unit well," said Bowman. "As we await the many changes and innovations that will affect this installation in the future, it's important for us to reflect on this occasion and congratulate our heroes on a job well done."

Source: http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/c--s-making-final-return-trip-to-falls-air/article_c282e81f-92c3-5cd9-b028-4b5cbe3cd8e0.html

View full article

• 2 weeks later...

A historic homecoming for the final C-130 deployment

Hundreds of military airmen returned home Sunday after being deployed for four months. Three C-130’s returned for the final time at the 914th airlift wing in Niagara Falls.

The military transport planes have been flying out of the Niagara Falls air base for more than 40 years.

Sunday, over one hundred men and women returned home from a mission overseas. Their mission included supplying anything the army needs by air drop or people jumping out of the back of the plane.

The C-130 aircraft will continue to fly at another base, while the Niagara Falls air base will switch to KC-135 refueling tankers.

Families and friends of the airmen waited patiently Sunday to see their loved ones.
“He hasn’t seen her since she was about a month old and I can’t wait to see her reaction to him, you know, what she’ll think of him,” said Marion Dwyer, wife of military airman.

“Nervous and excited. Ready for my second first kiss,” said Marsha Bing, wife of military airman.

As the men and women stepped off their planes for the final time, they searched the crowd for their loved one and moved quickly to embraces they’ve been missing for months.

“I’ve been thinking about this moment pretty much since I’ve been gone so it’s more than I could ever dream. It’s kind of like combining Christmas morning and all the birthdays in one,” said Capt. Steve Bichsel, airman.

“I’m just overwhelmed with joy, it’s a little surreal after being in the desert for several months so we’re just glad to be home and thankful to be home,” said Sgt. Niles Dupont, airman.

One more C-130 plane will return later this week. It got delayed due to some maintenance issues.

Officials say most of the airmen will remain at the Niagara Falls base, converting to the KC-135 tankers.

Source: http://wivb.com/2016/09/18/a-historic-homecoming-for-the-final-c-130-deployment/