MLG EMERGENCY EXTENSION

munirabbasi

Another subject that is not in any book that I know of. I believe the only thing that would prevent the gear from collapsing during the landing would be the friction washer, so the gear are secured by chains to prevent collapse. That is my best guess, but I am an avionics guy. Maybe one of the Flight Engineers can explain it better. Have you asked your flight engineers?

You are correct. The answer is more obvious if you get ahold of a main landing gear tiedown fixture kit. It's been a while since I've looked at it, so I may be a little off. (I'm a little off anyway, but that's another story....) It's essentially a clamp that wraps around the strut and connects to block that holds the gear against the wheel well. 

On 10/8/2016 at 1:29 PM, frank t said:

if your landing without a utility hydraulic system it's wise to chain the main gear down. just a little tip from the old antarctic explorer

If you have time, why not.  However, you have both the friction washer AND the MLG gearbox brakes there to hold those mains down...assuming everything mechanically is still connected.