Aero Precision provides OEM part support for military aircraft operators across more than 20 aircraft
Sign in to follow this  
munirabbasi

MLG EMERGENCY EXTENSION

Why MLG are tie down with chain/straps  when free fall emergency extension procedure is adapted as per -1 sec III @  it prevent side  upward or inward or outward movement of carriage. Brief with reference of  any book

regards

Munir abbasi

Another subject that is not in any book that I know of. I believe the only thing that would prevent the gear from collapsing during the landing would be the friction washer, so the gear are secured by chains to prevent collapse. That is my best guess, but I am an avionics guy. Maybe one of the Flight Engineers can explain it better. Have you asked your flight engineers?

As a Loadmaster, my understanding was that chaining prevented the struts from moving outward.The wedges in the gear tract would prevent the gear from going up. This is my 44 year old memory.

You are correct. The answer is more obvious if you get ahold of a main landing gear tiedown fixture kit. It's been a while since I've looked at it, so I may be a little off. (I'm a little off anyway, but that's another story....) It's essentially a clamp that wraps around the strut and connects to block that holds the gear against the wheel well. 

I do have a question, ? Why would the struts travel outward if they are still in the tracks? If  the only thing that was disconnected was the gear box shaft, why would this weaken the ability of the gear moving side to side?

If the gears down and locked with free fall method no need to tie down if the gears are not down and lock( physical window indication is unsafe or not down and lock. Then go for tie down 

if your landing without a utility hydraulic system it's wise to chain the main gear down. just a little tip from the old antarctic explorer

On 10/8/2016 at 1:29 PM, frank t said:

if your landing without a utility hydraulic system it's wise to chain the main gear down. just a little tip from the old antarctic explorer

If you have time, why not.  However, you have both the friction washer AND the MLG gearbox brakes there to hold those mains down...assuming everything mechanically is still connected.