54th WRS / Andersen AFB ?

moosemodeler

Nope. That version was inaugurated during the time frame after August 1973 when I arrived at the 54th. The earlier version was a buzzard sitting on some clouds on a world globe background. You can search on 54WRS images. I just did. That image was the first one on the page. The unit call sign was "Swan xx". I guess someone thought that an australian black swan would be "cooler" (that's what it's supposed to be). When it'54th Weather Reconaissnace Squadron.jpgs embroidered on a mediocre quality patch...looks more like a coot to me. The preceding words: one old man's recollection and $0.02 worth.

During my time on Guam (Sep 1969 - Mar 1971) I was assigned to the 54 WRS and the buzzard emblem was on our barracks near the "greasy spoon" 

If you check out my photos in the gallery under my name Tom C, you'll see the emblem on our barracks.

Tom Como

image.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,  My husband, George, was with the 54th. WRS in Guam during 1969-70 and flew TDY to Udorn, Thailand during that time as well.  I have been attempting a VA claim for him over the past months and that has taken me all over the Internet, searching for pertinent photos, stories and, of course, fellow-vets.  When I stumbled across this dedicated C130 website, I thought perhaps I had hit the mother-lode.  As it stands, I'm still stumbling in the dark but at least found this "post" page so it's a start.

If you find this post and were with the 54th.WRS, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you,  Mrs. Curious

• 5 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, Curious George said:

Hi Guys,  My husband, George, was with the 54th. WRS in Guam during 1969-70 and flew TDY to Udorn, Thailand during that time as well.  I have been attempting a VA claim for him over the past months and that has taken me all over the Internet, searching for pertinent photos, stories and, of course, fellow-vets.  When I stumbled across this dedicated C130 website, I thought perhaps I had hit the mother-lode.  As it stands, I'm still stumbling in the dark but at least found this "post" page so it's a start.

If you find this post and were with the 54th.WRS, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you,  Mrs. Curious

Shoot me an e-mail.

I might be able to help you with your VA Claim

[email protected]