908th Hercs going to Boneyard?

jbob

Saw an article posted in the Montgomery Advertiser saying Niagara's Hercs going to replace the ones at Montgomery.   The 908ths going to Boneyard.   Isn't the 908th currently flying H2s?  Niagara used to fly early model H3s but I'm not sure what they have now.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/local/dispatch/2017/01/12/first-8-new-aircraft-land-908th-airlift-wing-tonight/96486452/

I had heard that. 908th are mostly 1985 H2 models with around 12000 hours on them.

Niagara's H's are mostly 1991 H2's, with around 10000 hours on them. 

Must be Robins deciding what to keep and what to park, if I was the 908th I'd rather keep the aircraft you had since they came from the factory, rather than aircraft you know nothing about, especially because the Niagara Herks are supposed to go to the Boneyard soon too.

Bob

They're getting the old Nashville 89s. 1188 is their first of the bunch. From what I've been told, airplanes are being kept/ boneyarded based on wing life and upgrades completed. Not necessarily hours or age. Their airplanes are newer than ours and appear to have roughly the same number of hours as ours.

Much like keeping the airplanes that were only flown to church by a little old lady only on Sundays when the sun shined versus those that are newer and flown every day. 

In the case of Maxwell, I'd tend to think that the proximity to the ocean and warmer climate had something to do with corrosion issues. Just a guess.