high shear blind nuts used on cargo handling system of c130 E model

MR RELIABLE

Never saw the nut issued by itself.  I know I was always told that you could not re-swedge/re-pull a nut (old or new) therefore mandating removal and replacement of the sleeve assembly.  The reasoning was the sleeve is stretched and formed during the initial installation and re-swedging/re-pulling a second nut assembly (new or used) would add stress to the sleeve and could cause it to fail.  That's not to say I haven't done it before in a pinch but always been told technically it cannot be done.  What does the TO say?  How do you sign off the red x...re-swedged/re-pulled nut assembly IAW what?  

• 4 months later...

Sorry for having this thread go up but I think I could help supporting what said Metalbasher. While OP is most likely not around anymore, I hope it can be of use for future reference if others have this question.

We are currently working on a C-130H's chine caps and our client was asking us if we had the tools for these BN removal, hence we looked into what kind of BN they were. These nuts aren't issuable by themselves for the reasons Metalbasher explained. They're one-time use only, the sleeve is put under contraint by the nut installation and formed as such, if you remove the nut that made the first installation to install a new one, you'll only add stress since you'll most likely not be able to get a good hold on the sleeve as it is already formed. You'll risk creating an un-even deformation on the sleeve and fail it. Hence you can only order BN356-524-15 & BN356-624-15 assembly because you'll want to do a fresh, new installation.

I understand you'd "happen" to do it in a field situation but in a normal ( regulated / under supervision ) use situation, you'll be responsible of its replacement and hence should replace the BN assy. FYI I'm working in a MRO not governed by military-use.

• 1 month later...