No-flap takeoff?

DC10FE

How bout 100% flaps. Did one on accident. Dirt strip up close to Cambodia. Landed and taxied onto the ramp. No forklift and nobody met the plane. Figured the field was hot. Did a speed off load and taxied back onto the runway in one quick move. I was still closing the ramp and door when we started engine run up and soon as the door closed light went out AC released the brakes. I held on to the left paratroop door and away we went. Normal takeoff until we got to about 50 kts. then hard to accelerate but then we just jumped onto the air. Your pretty much committed to fly off a 2700" strip. Ain't no stopping at that point. Everybody missed the flaps in before takeoff.  

20 hours ago, BRlang said:

How bout 100% flaps. Did one on accident. Dirt strip up close to Cambodia. Landed and taxied onto the ramp. No forklift and nobody met the plane. Figured the field was hot. Did a speed off load and taxied back onto the runway in one quick move. I was still closing the ramp and door when we started engine run up and soon as the door closed light went out AC released the brakes. I held on to the left paratroop door and away we went. Normal takeoff until we got to about 50 kts. then hard to accelerate but then we just jumped onto the air. Your pretty much committed to fly off a 2700" strip. Ain't no stopping at that point. Everybody missed the flaps in before takeoff.  

Yep, did it a couple of times with Transafrik in Angola -- not on purpose, of course!

Don R.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...