Washing a C-130

MsgtRock

Back in the mid 1960's while stationed at Sewart AFB I remember reading a article in the Safety Magazine about a Crew Chief in the Azors who was trying to get some sticky tar off the bottom of the fuselage so he sprayed JP-4 on the fuselage using a low pressure air compressor. The next thing he knew the aircraft had caught on fire and was severely damaged.  A couple of months later returning from a TDY to Mildenhall AB, Eng, I passed through Lages AB, Azores, and happened to see that same aircraft resting on cradles in a hanger.  The fuselage was severely damaged, the aluminum was melted on the bottom of the fuselage and the landing gears were damaged.  Do you know if they ever repaired that aircraft and returned it to service ? 

Hey MSgt Rock, I got to Sewart in May 1963 and was assigned to the wash rack for 30 days as was the rest of the guys fresh out of tech school. I remember the huge " belly brush" on wheels that we used to scrub the goop off the belly of the birds. And yes we used JP-4 on rags to get the grease and hyd fluid off those dirty birds. I was in the 18th TCS on the A models with Msg. Wysocki as flt chief. Did 2 rotations to Clark on A models. Ended up from 65-66 as a scanner flying in the school squadron on brand new E models. THAT was some great duty !

From 1967 to 1970, I was on the C-118's at Rhein Main.  The fuel boost pumps were in the MLG wheel wells.  To clean the engine exhaust tracks, we'd disconnect the output fuel line and attach a small hose and nozzle and turn on the pump and wash down the exhaust with 115/145 avgas.  

Then, when I got out, I worked for Eastern Airlines in Boston.  I started out washing the Connies and Electras there.  We washed them with Varsol which was in a tank on a small trailer with a pump.  To service that tank, a fuel truck would pull up and fill the tank.  Can't remember whether it was 115/145 or Jet A-1.

Don R.