Bob Daley Passing

Members, 

I received word this morning that Bob Daley passed away on 25 December.    

DALEY, Robert A. Jr. Lt. Colonel-USAF Retired Of Dallas Texas, passed away peacefully on December 25, 2017. Beloved husband of Mercedes (Chen). Son of the late Robert A. and Catherine A. (Hayward) Daley. Brother of M. Christine Schumacher and her husband Kurt of Greenville, South Carolina; Richard J. Daley and his wife Karen Lisa of East Freetown, Massachusetts; and the late Catherine M. Daley of West Roxbury. Uncle of Elizabeth Barahona of Dallas, Texas and Great Uncle of Franco R. Lopez of Dallas, Texas. Bob grew up in West Roxbury and was an Eagle Scout from St. Theresa's Parish. Bob was a 1964 graduate of Boston Latin School and a 1968 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. Upon graduation Bob served in the U.S. Air Force, Viet Nam, and later the U.S. Air Force Reserve. He was a pilot for Southwest Airlines until his retirement. Interment with Military Honors at the Massachusetts National Cemetery Bourne, MA, on Friday, January 5th at 1:15PM. A Memorial Mass will be held at St. Theresa's Church, West Roxbury on Saturday, January 6th at 10:00AM. Relatives and friends respectfully invited. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that a donation be made in Bob's memory to St. Theresa of Avila Church, 2078 Centre St., West Roxbury, MA 02132. William J. Gormley Funeral Service gormleyfuneral.com

Published in The Boston Globe on Dec. 31, 2017

Please keep his friends and family in your prayers.

--Casey

What a huge loss. I knew Bob from e mails and through this site. What a true American son. He was the core of what made America great. Bob will be greatly missed by all of us on this website. A wealth of C-130 knowledge is lost. God bless his family and may his soul rest in peace. Thank you Bob for all you have given to our country. Bill

After having read posts from him on this site for  years we get the feeling that we know him even though we've never met face to face. We,on this site all share something of importance to us. Very sad  and shocking to read of his passing.I express sincere condolences to his family and friends.

What a shame!  Not sure, but I think he was in his mid-60's.  

We corresponded a lot.  I never met him face to face, but I considered him a very good friend.  What a wealth of knowledge lost.

Here's a photo he sent me from is military days.  He's in the white t-shirt in the middle.

Don R.

Bob Daley.jpg

56 minutes ago, BRlang said:

I'm guessing that Bob was around 71 based on his high school graduation date. Does anyone know what unit he flew with in SEA. I enjoyed his post on this board. RIP Bob. You are cleared to land in Heaven "check wheels down".

That's what I'm thinking. I graduated high school in 1964 also, but I was six months ahead because I was born in December. I am 72 now. RIP Bob, this board will miss you!!

I am both shocked and saddened by the loss of Bob.  He was a friend and a major contributor to not only this site but to the legacy of the C-130.  He tirelessly worked to ensure the latest photo's of individual aircraft remained current.  I had many conversations with Bob over the years and always enjoyed our discussions immensely.  Bob, I will miss you my friend.  My prayers and best wishes are with you and your family always.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spectre623 said:

Thanks Casey for renaming the C/N Pic Gallery the" Bob Daily C/N Gallery " in memory of Bob ,a class act. Bill

I thought it to be the appropriate thing to do.  He was a good friend and he played a huge roll in the success of C-130Hercules.net.  I owe him a lot and he is/will certainly be missed by the C-130 community.  May God bless him, his friends and his family.

--Casey

CANCER SUCKS!

Sorry to hear this news.  I too as so many others have related knew Bob from email correspondence and this forum only, never met face to face but I'm sure we could meet one day and sit down and have cold beverages like we were long lost friends reuniting.  Rest easy Bob, rest assured you truly touched many and made a difference.  Thank you for your service!

Here is the last list I got from Bob back in Sept 2017. 

All Herks Status -Unoffical as of 1 Aug 2017.xlsx

I was shocked and very saddened to learn of Bob's passing.  

316th reunions will never be the same.  

We didn't know each other at the time but we were in the 37th together.

And if one wanted to know the whereabouts or history of a specific Herk, Bob was your go-to guy.  He was absolutely tenacious in accounting for every tail number.  

He will be sorely missed by everyone who hangs out on this forum.  

Another good guy...gone.  RIP.

• 5 years later...

I'm a little late to the show but I flew with Bob for several years at NAS Navy Dallas and Kelly AFB TX on the C-5.  We were in Viet Nam at the same time but didn't know each other.  I have never flown with anyone that was more fun than Bob.  

Somewhere I have a few photo albums of my younger days and I know Bob is in a lot of those.  I'll post when able.

It's a shame but this is my first post here and I learn of Bob's passing.

"Wings level, greasy side down."

Mike

• 1 month later...

Bob shared so much knowledge and experience that he is still out there flying in the brains and hearts of the aviators and maintainers he helped learn, fix and fly their Hercs. Be like Bob; what you have been taught, learned and experienced will only last forever if you teach and share your knowledge and experiences with our fellow aviators.

Rest easy brother...

Godspeed