Reunions

Oldmech59

If I remember right Sonny has invited all of us old Naha guys to a reunion at Naha AB  sometime this year! He even offered to pay for a side trip on a Cam Rahn Bay input. The return trip would be on an A Model with the main landing gear chained down. Also on 3 engines. Sonny, can you confirm that info?

Thanks buddy,

Ken

All was going well until I contacted Naha and they told me I couldn't come back unless I paid the Pawn Shop the $25,000 due on the camera I left there in 1968. And here I thought finding an A model would be the hard part!!

Sorry Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a call from Ken Rice. He was in the freight side of 2nd Aerial Port at Sewart. many of us Loadmasters did time in Aerial Port before PCS to SEA to fly the line. I was in 2APS before I went to CCK to the 345th. I returned to 2APS at LRAFB after CCK. Other than rigging loads they kept us Aerial Port Loadmaster so we could do the 10 Hr over water missions or 5 hours of touch and goes. 

2 Aerial Port is having a reunion in Smyrna TN on Sept 14th-16th. If you know any old Aerial Port folks pass it along. Contact Ken Rice for information. Cel 563-343-5985. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Spectre623 said:

Yeah, also heard Sonny was going to give a demo of changing ice tires bare handed while eating C rations without the white spoon on that A model. ha ha. Bill

Ok now we are getting there I'll do a C-133 ice tire change we had plenty of them at Dover in the late 60's.

Bob

Ice tires on the C-130 mains had thousands of tiny stainless wires molded into the tire tread which stuck out of the tires to catch the ice. We must have had the largest supply of them at Cam Ranh Bay... ice in CRB, go figure. EVERY time my bird had a main tire change they dropped off an ice tire. We didn't have a lot of trick stuff there, like gloves, to handle the tires with. Your hands ended up looking like hamburger after your rotation was over.  I was stationed at Dover after my Clark/ Cam Ranh tour and and we sent the C-133's to the bone yard and I never saw ice tires there but man I saw plenty of ice. Bill:(

You know, I must have been lucky. Out of the 33 months (consecutive) I was a crew chief or assistant on A's and E's most of them were in CRB at least once every month on inputs. We changed a lot of tires and I don't remember any ice tires. I do know now, that I have seen them somewhere after Bill described them, but I am not so sure where. I do remember the best missions for no tire cuts (changes) were the Med evac- max pax missions. Seems like the worst were bladder missions.  I have a picture in my gallery of my assistant on 62-1804 changing brakes. His name is John Chase from New York. He also got a consecutive overseas tour from Naha to CCK.

Of course they were usually at night and you had to wait in line for a Lite-all!  Seems like yesterday doesn't it.

I have to correct my story a little. Out of the 33 months, I spent 90 days as a Blind Bat flare kicker in Ubon. No maint. for 90 days.!!:D

Ken

DSCF1671.JPG

DSCF1672.JPG

I don't remember ice tires either. On a side note, this is how we worked, down on your knees and it didn't matter how dirty or dusty it was. No nice clean spaces. And you worked until the aircraft was ready to fly. Sometimes that was a day or two if you had no relief.

I was at Dover from Jan.68 till Nov.68 and then went to Nam on OV-10's for a year.My first job at Dover was on the tire change crew my fatigue's were a pile of fuzz from the Ice tires. I think we used them all up during this period as I remember we got fewer and fewer as the months went on.

Bob

Mt. crewchief I noticed the brake change pictures is a single disk brake. The TCTO that put multiple disk brakes on The E's was a huge bonus for crew chiefs. We never got them on the A's and B's during Viet Nam. Did they change them after the A's and B's went to the Guard and Reserve? The single disk's were a crew chief's worst nightmare. What a bunch of leakers. Was on E's at Pope before Clark and the multiple disk's were sweet! Bill

2 hours ago, Spectre623 said:

Mt. crewchief I noticed the brake change pictures is a single disk brake. The TCTO that put multiple disk brakes on The E's was a huge bonus for crew chiefs. We never got them on the A's and B's during Viet Nam. Did they change them after the A's and B's went to the Guard and Reserve? The single disk's were a crew chief's worst nightmare. What a bunch of leakers. Was on E's at Pope before Clark and the multiple disk's were sweet! Bill

i don't remember R&Ring too many for leaks but plenty because of wear and a few     because of big chips broken out of the pucks.What used to gripe me was when you went to help someone R&R a tire and he forget set the parking brake before removing said tire. 

On 5/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, nascarpop said:

I don't remember ice tires either. On a side note, this is how we worked, down on your knees and it didn't matter how dirty or dusty it was. No nice clean spaces. And you worked until the aircraft was ready to fly. Sometimes that was a day or two if you had no relief.

I changed a lot of ice tires at McGuire. Nasty!!! I only remember one or two in SEA. Working your aircraft until it was OR was what you did as a Crew Chief.