Our #3 Engine Failed to Air Start

Great Above

Hi guys,

pls what could be the possible cause of an engine failing to air start.

we followed all the procedures ranging from cruise engine shutdown, NTS check, and getting to air start the engine refused to start. Actually what happens is that during air start, the engine rotates to about 7% RPM and starts winding back Down. I need some helpful info pls.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Great Above said:

Hi guys,

pls what could be the possible cause of an engine failing to air start.

we followed all the procedures ranging from cruise engine shutdown, NTS check, and getting to air start the engine refused to start. Actually what happens is that during air start, the engine rotates to about 7% RPM and starts winding back Down. I need some helpful info pls.

Any help would be appreciated. Seriously concerned with this snag.

Snag traced to low gap within the NTS bracket. Also,  the pump housing hydraulic was observed to be low  and rigging of the engine observed not to be correct. Hence,  filler gauge was used to increase  the NTS bracket space to 0.12mm, while the pump housing hydraulic was topped by about 2 quarts. Also,  engine was properly rigged IAW technical manual. Thereafter,  the aircraft was taken for Functional Check Flight and the snag cleared. 

I think tiny's curiosity was aroused as you used a word much different than what we use to describe a system malfunction.  Depending what air force is in play there are many different words used to describe components not operating as they are meant to.  "Snag" is just another one of those words.  A great thing about English is its flexibility.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shola said:

Thank you very much Larry Myers. Tiny's question sounds very insulting to say the least. All he needed to do was consult Oxford English dictionary. 

@tinyclark has been a member of this site since its inception and based on more than 10 years of history, it is a safe bet that he did not intend to insult you.  I am sure that he knows the meaning of the word "snag" and does not need to look it up in the Oxford Dictionary.  Furthermore, I am quite certain that one cannot find the answer to what he was curious about (Where are you from?) in a dictionary.  Assuming the intent of another is never a good practice, neither is causing drama in our forums. 

You have been warned...

--Casey 

1 hour ago, casey said:

@tinyclark has been a member of this site since its inception and based on more than 10 years of history, it is a safe bet that he did not intend to insult you.  I am sure that he knows the meaning of the word "snag" and does not need to look it up in the Oxford Dictionary.  Furthermore, I am quite certain that one cannot find the answer to what he was curious about (Where are you from?) in a dictionary.  Assuming the intent of another is never a good practice, neither is causing drama in our forums. 

You have been warned...

--Casey 

Thank you very much Casey. It is true I am relatively new here compared to tinyclark who has been a member since inception. Nevertheless,  I take exceptions to someone asking me derogatory questions. Read his comments again and  read Larry Myers objective intervention. I still believe tinyclark was unfair to me. I am here to learn and not to cause drama. Furthermore, it is not all on this forum that have English Language as their mother tongue. I think the warning is more applicable to him and not to me. 

1 hour ago, Shola said:

Thank you very much Casey. It is true I am relatively new here compared to tinyclark who has been a member since inception. Nevertheless,  I take exceptions to someone asking me derogatory questions. Read his comments again and  read Larry Myers objective intervention. I still believe tinyclark was unfair to me. I am here to learn and not to cause drama. Furthermore, it is not all on this forum that have English Language as their mother tongue. I think the warning is more applicable to him and not to me. 

That's just it.  Asking where someone is from based on their use of a word that is not common where you live is not derogatory.    I did read Larry's comment (I think tiny's curiosity was aroused as you used a word much different than what we use to describe a system malfunction) and again, there is nothing derogatory about being curious about someone (where they are from.) The rest of his comments are clearly an attempt to placate you . I also understand that English is not everyone's  native tongue and that  underscores my point that we should not assume intent.  Trust me, if I it appeared that Tiny was being derogatory toward you, I would have given him the same type of warning.   

We are happy to have you here, to have you contribute to the community and to help you where we can. With that said, please keep in mind that we all have the responsibility to keep our emotions in check and to not assume mistreatment when there is no objective evidence to support our stance.    

--Casey

5 hours ago, casey said:

That's just it.  Asking where someone is from based on their use of a word that is not common where you live is not derogatory.    I did read Larry's comment (I think tiny's curiosity was aroused as you used a word much different than what we use to describe a system malfunction) and again, there is nothing derogatory about being curious about someone (where they are from.) The rest of his comments are clearly an attempt to placate you . I also understand that English is not everyone's  native tongue and that  underscores my point that we should not assume intent.  Trust me, if I it appeared that Tiny was being derogatory toward you, I would have given him the same type of warning.   

We are happy to have you here, to have you contribute to the community and to help you where we can. With that said, please keep in mind that we all have the responsibility to keep our emotions in check and to not assume mistreatment when there is no objective evidence to support our stance.    

--Casey

Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if my question offended you. I grew up as a military USAF brat and have lived all over the world. I have never heard that term used in maintenance terms, so just wanted to know what part of the world "snag"comes from. Also, I am an Avionics dude, not engines.

And, I have to add, grow some thicker skin. Aircraft maintainers don't get offended by anything really. Good luck solving your problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Moeed hassan said:

I disagreed with this.....  Explain how the ignitor plugs are the defaulters in this case??? REGARDS... 

Dear Moeed as you know that one of ignition plugs became defective what happen in flight one plug unable to ignite the rich mixture but on ground you can not judge.The pattern of mixture is changed as enrichment switch is  selected to normal.

Regards

Munir Abbasi

Home of hercules Pakistan

19 hours ago, munirabbasi said:

Dear Moeed as you know that one of ignition plugs became defective what happen in flight one plug unable to ignite the rich mixture but on ground you can not judge.The pattern of mixture is changed as enrichment switch is  selected to normal.

Regards

Munir Abbasi

Home of hercules Pakistan

Dear munir abbasi sir.... Can u plz tel me how ignition occurs??? Dear i means ignition is self sustaind.. Once ignited it wil remain self sustaind and if one of your ignitor plug is working good i think it will b enough to ignite the fuel air mixture.... 

REGARDS... 

On 10/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, Moeed hassan said:

Dear munir abbasi sir.... Can u plz tel me how ignition occurs??? Dear i means ignition is self sustaind.. Once ignited it wil remain self sustaind and if one of your ignitor plug is working good i think it will b enough to ignite the fuel air mixture.... 

REGARDS... 

Dear  Moeed,are you aerodynamic engineer/mechanic , Thermodynamic engineer/mechanic and FE ,please  contact me [email protected]

Thanks

Regards

Munir Abbasi Home of hercules Pakistan

Edited by munirabbasi