Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Pease AFB C-130 rescue squadron

I reckon this is the place for this question. If not, Casey, just put it where it belongs. Anyway, way back in 1970, I graduated tech school with a guy named Stoddard, who I think, went to Rescue Herks , at Pease AFB, NH. He was from new hampshire to begin with. Am I correct in the base and so on??? Is it still active???? I am gonna be up in that area in a few months and would like to look him up, if he is still in that area. Anything anybody can tell me would be appreciated. thanks

giz

Giz,

Yep, it was either the 54th or 53rd ARRS (????). I remember they had a brand new HC-130N 69-5820 (overall ARRS grey) on the ramp, and she was factory fresh without a speck of "work dirt" on her. If my memory serves me correctly, the sq. didn't last all that long up there. Maybe a few years or so, and 5820 went on to the 676th ARRS at Woodbridge in the UK where she spent most if her future life. I wonder where she is now ?? At the time, Pease was home to the509th BW(M) with FB-111's and 135's. Pease was closed during the first round of BRAC chops and was turned into Pease Industrial Trade Port with the NH ANG maintaining a 135R op there.

Regards
    Frank C.

Quote Originally Posted by Thud105 View Post
    I wonder where she is now ?? Regards
    Frank C.
    Frank,
    According to Lars' book, 69-5820 is now a gray MC-130P with the 9th SOS at Eglin AFB, FL.
    Don R.
    I'm having one of those days when my middle finger is answering every question.

Went to Dover AFB after Clark and when we junked out the C-133's in 1970, I got to pick my next base, Rescue at Pease or Hill AFB Ut. Sure glad I chose Hill. Best assignment of my career as far as a fun place to be...shooting, sking, fishing and hunting, dune buggining, mountain camping... oh yes and the Rescue 130's ,Utah has it all. Bill

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DC10FE View Post
    Frank,
    According to Lars' book, 69-5820 is now a gray MC-130P with the 9th SOS at Eglin AFB, FL.
    Don R.
    Don,

I have added 4367 (69-5820) to the C-130 Database. Looking at Lars' book, it was on loan to the 5th SOS 0403. Did it return to the 9th SOS on 0912?

Casey,
    I assume it was returned to the 9th -- the 5th SOS now operates Pilatus aircraft.
    Don R.
    I'm having one of those days when my middle finger is answering every question.

I was at Pease on B-47's when they closed the base around 1966. Ourchoice was togo on 130's as ground pounders of flight engineers. I don't think Herks were ever assigned to Pease.

I know they were there in June of '70, 'cause that is when stoddard was assigned there, but i never knew what ever became of him or the planes.How far in-land was the base????? Just seemed like a strange place to put a rescue squadron. I guess it worked out for him, though,but I mis-stated his home state, he was from Vermont,

Giz

Giz,

Pease is just a few miles inland from the coast and was a busy jump off point for many of the pond crossings. One of it's greatest assets was the POL pipeline that fed the base pol farm. fro Delaware (?) The 54ARRS was only there a few years as I mentioned and covered the east/west transits until the Keflavik based contingent picked em up or handed em off for the rest of the legs. They closed Pease in early although the 54th was long gone by that time.

Bill,
    I'm glad that you enjoyed Hill, but the only thing that you gained in Utah was the Dune buggying and you missed out on some great deep sea fishing !

Frank

Hey Frank I guess we can't do it all but I liked Ogden Ut so well I went back for 4 more years after I got off active duty. That's the neat thing about this great country it has so many great places to visit and live....worth fighting for and sometimes dying for huh? Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information