Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APN-59 Radar Problem

Hello.....
    Last edited by prior22usaf; 01-27-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Re:APN-59 Radar Problem

I beamed you my input-hope it helps

I have some suggestion, but you\'ll still have to duplicate it on the ground to fix it.

One of the things you need to ascertain is if the antenna quits turning, or if it is just the display not moving. If the antenna is turning, the sweep trace will flash brighter when the heading marker switch hits. They can chech that while they are flying.

If the antenna is rotating, then they need to check it on the Nav and pilot displays, in REL and STAB modes.

Are you at the \'Rock?

I\'ll send you something that may help if it is an indication problem. I\'ll also send some other diagrams I have done up for the system to aid in other problems.
    Tiny Clark
    Department of the Air Force, Retired
    Future Hooter's Secret Shopper

Had on incident where the nose radome had a delamination (soft spot).

In flight, the aerodynamic force would push the soft spot in, and the radar antenna feedhorn would rub on it, but only when the tilt, pitch, and roll were at the right angles to cause the antenna to scan that specific spot.

This would not show up on the ground.

Thanks guys for the responses. I actually just made up a questionnaire to give to the Nav so we can get some more insight on when the problem happens, whether or not the heading flash still occurs to see if the antenna itself is actually not rotating and what position the bearing switch is in(Stab or Relative). Our crews usually donít fly with the Pilot Radar scope in (they fly with the SKE scope installed), but we are trying to get them to fly with it installed to help us troubleshoot.
    Any further ideas of what to try or what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-Dennis

Images

Interesting. Back in the day the only time the SKE scope was installed was for SKE ops. Else the radar scope was installed.
    Getting old is a bitch but I'm not ready for the alternative.

Have them install the pilot scope and if it works you have a bad power supply for the nav scope....

Oh if it were that easy TOPS. The heading reference comes from the compass and goes thru the ECA, antenna J-Box, antenna, RADAR J-box, Control panel for the Nav\'s, power supply, then the scope. Any one of the X,Y or Z wires opening alond the way will cause the sweep to freeze. [img size=1383]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/radar_hdg_reference_loop.JPG[/img]
    Tiny Clark

Images

Tiny you are a very smart man what is your afsc I was a afsc 43151f

EClark wrote:
    Tiny you are a very smart man what is your afsc I was a afsc 43151f
    Not that smart, just been doing it for 34 years. I was a 32871 when I got out. That was Airborne Navigation System Repairman. I don\'t know what that AFSC is now. I\'ve been a civilian for many years. I have my info in my profile.

APN59 was MY bench at my first base. They usually chained a big guy to that mock-up so moving the antenna and R/T was no problem.
    Tiny Clark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information