WINDTUNNEL T56

WINDTUNNELMECH

I have an old 501D13, (T56)  built in 1954.  We use it to pull air through a wind tunnel.  I had to swap it out with an engine that was sitting in an engine can for 5 years.  The new engine is giving me hot starts and high fuel flow at ground idle.  I checked and rechecked the rigging.  Swapped the TD valve and fuel control.  This engine is unique, it does not have a TD amp, or TD control.  Any ideas at what else I can look at or swap out to see if I can get this problem fixed?  Its a difficult problem to diagnose because its run by a computer using a PLC.

16 hours ago, WINDTUNNELMECH said:

I have an old 501D13, (T56)  built in 1954.  We use it to pull air through a wind tunnel.  I had to swap it out with an engine that was sitting in an engine can for 5 years.  The new engine is giving me hot starts and high fuel flow at ground idle.  I checked and rechecked the rigging.  Swapped the TD valve and fuel control.  This engine is unique, it does not have a TD amp, or TD control.  Any ideas at what else I can look at or swap out to see if I can get this problem fixed?  Its a difficult problem to diagnose because its run by a computer using a PLC.

Hi!!!

If you have already checked the rigging, you have to register START TIT, RPM and FUEL FLOW (as said by pjvr99), if those values are too high, check the LSGI regulation on the FCU. Assuming that the engine works full mechanically (NO TD Amplifier), The Temperature and RPM are in accordance with the Fuel supplied by the FCU.

If you reach on a good compromise (TIT and RPM) at LSGI you will have good values at HSGI.

Let us Know more details!

16 hours ago, WINDTUNNELMECH said:

Start TIT was 1680F RPM is 73 Percent and Fuel Flow is over 800PPH

Some more Troubleshooting:

• Bleed Air Valves do not open  during start
  1. Check Speed Sensitive Valve
  2. Remove and clean / Replace Bleed air valves Teflons
  • Anti-Icing Valves Open during start
  1. Check anti-icing valves

Hope to be Helpful!

Regards