Starter damage during compressor wash.

pmostafiz

TO's tell us 1 minute ON, 1 minute OFF, 1 minute ON, 5 minutes OFF, 1 minute ON, 30 minutes OFF ......

Having said that, a starter can fail at any time. I have had the starter shaft shear on 1st attempt, it has

also sheared at 40% during normal starting. During compressor wash, the load on the starter is more than

doubled so it has a much greater chance of failing. I don,t think there is much to be done in terms of 

extending life beyond what we already do .....

We follow a slightly modified procedure to what is stated in 2J-T56-101CL-1:

Allow detergent mix to enter engine until it is flowing from intake, then motor engine for 1 minute, allow

minimum 5 minutes soak time (or move on to next engine).

Open the rinse water and wait for clean water to flow from the intake, motor engine for 1 minute, wait 1 minute

or move on to next engine. Keep doing this until clean water is coming out of turbine. During the last motoring,

stop the water at +-30 seconds but keep motoring until 1 minute to vent excess fluids. Complete dry-out run

withing 4 hours

Edited by pjvr99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pjvr99 said:

TO's tell us 1 minute ON, 1 minute OFF, 1 minute ON, 5 minutes OFF, 1 minute ON, 30 minutes OFF ......

Having said that, a starter can fail at any time. I have had the starter shaft shear on 1st attempt, it has

also sheared at 40% during normal starting. During compressor wash, the load on the starter is more than

doubled so it has a much greater chance of failing. I don,t think there is much to be done in terms of 

extending life beyond what we already do .....

We follow a slightly modified procedure to what is stated in 2J-T56-101CL-1:

Allow detergent mix to enter engine until it is flowing from intake, then motor engine for 1 minute, allow

minimum 5 minutes soak time (or move on to next engine).

Open the rinse water and wait for clean water to flow from the intake, motor engine for 1 minute, wait 1 minute

or move on to next engine. Keep doing this until clean water is coming out of turbine. During the last motoring,

stop the water at +-30 seconds but keep motoring until 1 minute to vent excess fluids. Complete dry-out run

withing 4 hours

Thanks peter- we follow starter duty cycle. After that also we are losing starter frequently. 

1. During compressor wash, the load on the starter is more. Do you think we should motor engine 30 or 35 second instead of 1 minute to reduce load on starter?

2. Is there any T.O. reference to complete dry run within 4 hours you mentioned?

Thanks!

We frequently exceed duty cycle during comp wash without losing starters. I do not believe shorter motoring time

will have any effect as the highest load will occur at the start of rotation. Yes, 2J-T56-101CL-1 requires dry-out

run within 4 hours. If not, the rinse procedure must be redone.

6 hours ago, pjvr99 said:

We frequently exceed duty cycle during comp wash without losing starters. I do not believe shorter motoring time

will have any effect as the highest load will occur at the start of rotation. Yes, 2J-T56-101CL-1 requires dry-out

run within 4 hours. If not, the rinse procedure must be redone.

Thanks Peter- I don't have 2J-T56-101CL-1. Can you give me a screenshot of that page.

Please do not post any Export Control data on this site.  

WARNING -This document contains technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec. 2751 et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979 (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.), as amended. Violations of these export laws are subject to severe criminal penalties. Disseminate in accordance with provisions of DoD Directive 5230.25. 

• 3 months later...