L-100 flight manual (-9)

hehe

hehe,

You are no doubt referring to the L-382G which is 180 inches longer than ( 100 FWD, 80 AFT) the original C-130's and there are 7 pallet positions on the floor.

As per Lockheed publication SMP 521-4, Section II, page 2-10, Dated 1 JULY 1970 Pallet Position E (5) shows 35,000 lbs. Of interest, the ramp is rated for 6000 lbs., not 5000 lbs. as the shorter ones were. A letter from Lockheed advises there were no structural changes made when the ramp was approved for 1000 lbs more. I speculate that  buying customers wanted the availability of more ramp weight when they got more volume. However, on the C-130H-30's publication TM 382T-5 Section 111 page 3-17, Max weight on the ramp remains 5000 lbs. You can probably confirm this with any C-130H-30 L/M. Maybe it was changed on the C-130J?

Hope this helps,

Bill

I'm mainly curious about the difference in weight allowed in position 5 with and without paratroop doors

Does the door limit the pallet weight or does the dual rail system?  I can't wrap my brain around why you would build a rail system that created that limit of 8,500 especially on a brand new J.

It seems to me that the paratroop door is the limiting factor hence why they would eliminate them from the L-100 (plus the obvious lack of need on a civilian bird for paratroopers)

13 hours ago, hehe said:

It seems to me that the paratroop door is the limiting factor hence why they would eliminate them from the L-100 (plus the obvious lack of need on a civilian bird for paratroopers)

Actually, some commercial Hercs have paratroop doors.  I was an FE on a brand new one in 1991 in Angola.  They're called "aft entry doors."

Don R.

5225b -- PJ-TAC -- Frameair.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 12:24 AM, Bill Adamson said:

hehe,

You are no doubt referring to the L-382G which is 180 inches longer than ( 100 FWD, 80 AFT) the original C-130's and there are 7 pallet positions on the floor.

As per Lockheed publication SMP 521-4, Section II, page 2-10, Dated 1 JULY 1970 Pallet Position E (5) shows 35,000 lbs. Of interest, the ramp is rated for 6000 lbs., not 5000 lbs. as the shorter ones were. A letter from Lockheed advises there were no structural changes made when the ramp was approved for 1000 lbs more. I speculate that  buying customers wanted the availability of more ramp weight when they got more volume. However, on the C-130H-30's publication TM 382T-5 Section 111 page 3-17, Max weight on the ramp remains 5000 lbs. You can probably confirm this with any C-130H-30 L/M. Maybe it was changed on the C-130J?

Hope this helps,

Bill

Be careful the interpretation pag. 2-10,  i.a.w. chg 2 (Jun 15, 1999) only 31.0, but again in E position, what the meaning of ?