USMC F-35B Crashes After Collision with USMC KC-130J Over CA

Metalbasher

Marine F-35B Crashes After Collision With KC-130 Over California; All Aircrew Recovered Safely

By: Sam LaGrone

September 29, 2020 9:34 PM • Updated: September 29, 2020 11:03 PM

A Marine F-35B aircraft has crashed near Naval Air Facility El Centro, Calif., following an air collision with a KC-130J, defense officials confirmed to USNI News.

At approximately 4 p.m. local time, “it was reported that an F-35B made contact with a KC-130J during an air-to-air refueling evolution, resulting in the crash of the F-35B. The pilot of the F-35B ejected successfully and is currently being treated,” read a statement from Marine Corps spokesman Capt. Joseph Butterfield to USNI News.
“The KC-130J is on deck in the vicinity of Thermal Airport. All crew members of the KC-130J have been reported safe.”

The KC-130J, often used as an aerial refueler for Marine aviation, made an emergency landing near the Jacqueline Cochran Regional Airport in Therma, Calif., according to photos published by KESQ Channel 3.

The following is the complete statement from the Marine Corps.

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION YUMA, Ariz. (Sep. 29, 2020) — At approximately 1600 it was reported that an F-35B made contact with a KC-130J during an air-to-air refueling evolution, resulting in the crash of the F-35B. The pilot of the F-35B ejected successfully and is currently being treated.

The KC-130J is on deck in the vicinity of Thermal Airport. All crew members of the KC-130J have been reported safe.

The official cause of the crash is currently under investigation. Updates will be provided as information becomes available.

In the field.jpg

Crash.jpg

Pictures I've seen looks like #3 and #4 props mostly missing, rt external mostly missing, left refueling pod missing, #1 prop severely damaged, gear up, flaps up. Fuel "leak". The crew audio I've heard mentions two engines out. Does anyone have information as to the status of # 1, whether they were getting any thrust from it? Damaged during flight or the "slide-out"?

On 10/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, Fred said:

Pictures I've seen looks like #3 and #4 props mostly missing, rt external mostly missing, left refueling pod missing, #1 prop severely damaged, gear up, flaps up. Fuel "leak". The crew audio I've heard mentions two engines out. Does anyone have information as to the status of # 1, whether they were getting any thrust from it? Damaged during flight or the "slide-out"?