• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 2:11 AM, Leakybirds said:

How often do you completely drain and fill struts? And do you use hydro mite?

The struts are a time change item so you don't change the fluid out, the entire strut gets replaced.

Short of moisture in the hydraulic fluid and it not meeting the water content limits, the fluid doesn't really break down in struts like it does in the system.

Sometimes you can drain a reservoir and the fluid is visibly darker or dirty looking.  Struts, in my experience, don't really have this same problem because there aren't moving parts in the strut short of o-rings.  The fluid doesnt really come in contact with wear items like an engine pump or motor produces for example.

This is just my opinion since I've drained a lot of struts and never really came across one with dirty fluid.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:55 PM, tinyclark said:

I remember we had a hydromite at Moody and Ramstein, but don't remember periodic draining. There's nothing in the old 130A-06 that says anything about it. Of course, I was the avionics guy.

Good to know. Thanks for the response. It was brought up to us and was being forced to switch back to the hydromite ways.   Thanks to the 06 we don’t need to do it. 

15 minutes ago, hehe said:

The struts are a time change item so you don't change the fluid out, the entire strut gets replaced.

Short of moisture in the hydraulic fluid and it not meeting the water content limits, the fluid doesn't really break down in struts like it does in the system.

Sometimes you can drain a reservoir and the fluid is visibly darker or dirty looking.  Struts, in my experience, don't really have this same problem because there aren't moving parts in the strut short of o-rings.  The fluid doesnt really come in contact with wear items like an engine pump or motor produces for example.

This is just my opinion since I've drained a lot of struts and never really came across one with dirty fluid.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for the response. Was trying to be forced on us. Just wanted more input. 

Just now, Leakybirds said:

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for the response. Was trying to be forced on us. Just wanted more input. 

It's not a bad idea to do it and hydromite is by far the best strut servicing tool available. 

As far as hydromite, If you aren't using hydromite or aware of how to use it, you are shorting yourself.   If someone told me to go leak check a strut, service a strut, R2 a strut, deflate a strut, etc, etc.   I'm asking for a hydromite.

Hydromite is awesome for fixing strut leaks and servicing. 

Take the time to learn about it.