Oil Temperature Exceeding 100°C

save123

Hi,

I was browsing through the older posts and came across this. 

"Hey the book says between 100 and 150 deg C they just change the oil, that\'s a small work load for MX compaired to screwing up the touchdown."

Does anyone have the reference for this? This seems like exceeding 100°C is no biggie, even though the book states that it is an engine shutdown condition.

Also took a look at the engine oil specifications, works well beyond 100°C.

Could someone explain this? Why is 100°C the limit? 

Thank you

Quoted from: 

On 9/26/2008 at 6:52 PM, Chris Down Under said:

Ok so now the offical Airforce investigation results are out I can talk about it

I was the FE on the C130H that snapped the nose strut during a touch and go. and we had a QFI Check Capt in the right seat. It was the second touch and go for the night and as we were powering up past 15,000\"lb, we felt a thud as if we hit a fox or Kangaroo(and no it was not a heavy landing)we were past rotate speed so we took it airborne as it was a short outback strip. An inspection of the Strip later by the police showed we did not hit anything.

We left the gear down and I went down to look at the gear through the inspection window. The nose strut was broken off about 6\" from the bottom of the chrome. This is a picture you never want to see. The Nose Gear was left dangling only front sissor link and I could see the inside of casting of the front strut as it was tilted back towards me. The gear was just twisting and turning in the breeze.

The hour transit back to home base with the gear down gave us lots of time to work a plan and look at checklists 10,000 feet@160 knots.

We dumped the LOX as there may have been damage to that area anyway on touchdown.

The most suitable Check List to run was the Nose Gear retracted Main Gear Down one, as this gave you some proceedures and guidance on how to fly the approach and what to expect on touchdown. We had planned, or thought that on touchdown, the sissor link would snap and the nose gear break off and we would go down onto the top part of the strut.

If we retracted the gear the broken strut would have caused further damage to the doors and may have jammed later on down selection.

Just to add to the event, on descending into home base the no 1 engine oil cooler flap stuck closed in auto and manual, even tried resetting the CB. We kept the engine running as we really wanted to do a 4 engine touchdown with a broken nose strut,than a 3 engine one. Hey the book says between 100 and 150 deg C they just change the oil, that\'s a small work load for MX compaired to screwing up the touchdown.

On touchdown God was smiling on us. The mains were on first, the nose slowly holding it at stages,the nose wheels started to spin up and the broken bit of strut rotated FWD into the sissor link. The nose settled some more and the top part of the strut, settled onto the stuck portion of the broken bottom strut. All this on a bulging set of sissor links. We slowly came to a stop, then ground evacuated and yes I did turn the battery off.

End result is a very nose down aircraft but doors still off the ground with no major damage. Crew debrief over a few beers.

Cause .. it appears that it was a manufacturing defect in the strut and it would have happend to someone some day.. I guess that day was tonight and that someone was us.

So next Sim ride, practice that Gear check list, even the unrealistic ones, may one day be real. and dont forget to throw in a curve ball oil cooler flap as well

Chris

1 hour ago, save123 said:

Hi,

"Hey the book says between 100 and 150 deg C they just change the oil, that\'s a small work load for MX compaired to screwing up the touchdown."

Does anyone have the reference for this? This seems like exceeding 100°C is no biggie, even though the book states that it is an engine shutdown condition.

Thank you

Quoted from: 

the note about changing oil when it exceeds this temp is in the instrument limits area of the 00GV if I remember correctly.

Completely random place but I did read it a few years back

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 4:09 AM, save123 said:

Hi,

Thank you

I seem to remember going over 100 deg C just resulted in pulling the mag plugs, and going over 150 is an oil change. Pulling the mag plugs is to check for damage, then put them back in. My guess is 100 deg C is the limit because that's the point when damage becomes much more likely. If I had to guess why this causes an engine shutdown event, I'd say only a malfunction could allow the oil temp to go above 100 while flying due to the robust amount of cooling air available. If the engine is shut down for oil temps, it is a good idea to get the engine restarted for landing for maximum controllability and go-around margin.

As for a reference, my guess is whatever tech data the owner provides. For the US military, that would be the 1C-130H-2-70FI-00-1-2.

• 7 months later...

There is no big problem when you operate in Africa with temps up to ISA+20 in hostile areas, not having adequate resources available. Several times the temp. of oil rises above 100ºC and we have to keep going, otherwise we are stuck on the ground.
What magical engines!