Sewart AFB 1966 through 1969

Ssgt John Wallace I stationed at Sewart AFB assigned to the 61 squadron from March 1966 thru Nov 7 1969. I was cc on 64531 for over 2 years I also crewed 64529 for a while and another one but don’t remember the tail #. I took 64531 on two 90 day TDYs to Mildenhall England and from there all over Europe, parts of N Africa and Middle East. My final 8 months I was engine run certified and was on call 24 hrs a day 7 a week. I was assigned to the 61 squadron but also ran engines for the 62 squadron. That was when the AF offered everyone a 6 month early out. Most of the skilled airmen got out. Due family reasons I stayed in. Mistake mistake mistake!!! My other job besides being on call 24/7 testing engines on the flight line I was assigned to the phase dock under Msgt Cannon. Pure hell. I have been able to keep up with one fellow airman Tom Gargis over the past 52 years. Any other airmen out there that assigned to the 61 squadron who worked on the flight line or phase dock please respond. I would love to hear from you. I am living in Georgetown SC. Wife and I are retired now.

20 hours ago, John H Wallace said:

Ssgt John Wallace I stationed at Sewart AFB assigned to the 61 squadron from March 1966 thru Nov 7 1969. I was cc on 64531 for over 2 years I also crewed 64529 for a while and another one but don’t remember the tail #. I took 64531 on two 90 day TDYs to Mildenhall England and from there all over Europe, parts of N Africa and Middle East. My final 8 months I was engine run certified and was on call 24 hrs a day 7 a week. I was assigned to the 61 squadron but also ran engines for the 62 squadron. That was when the AF offered everyone a 6 month early out. Most of the skilled airmen got out. Due family reasons I stayed in. Mistake mistake mistake!!! My other job besides being on call 24/7 testing engines on the flight line I was assigned to the phase dock under Msgt Cannon. Pure hell. I have been able to keep up with one fellow airman Tom Gargis over the past 52 years. Any other airmen out there that assigned to the 61 squadron who worked on the flight line or phase dock please respond. I would love to hear from you. I am living in Georgetown SC. Wife and I are retired now.that’s me squatting.picture was taken in Tel Aviv Israel during the 6 day war. Mission was pick up dependents in Amanda Jordan 

29E2BEF4-1F07-40B1-A0B7-7B518F0ADE85.jpeg

21 hours ago, John H Wallace said:

Ssgt John Wallace I stationed at Sewart AFB assigned to the 61 squadron from March 1966 thru Nov 7 1969. I was cc on 64531 for over 2 years I also crewed 64529 for a while and another one but don’t remember the tail #. I took 64531 on two 90 day TDYs to Mildenhall England and from there all over Europe, parts of N Africa and Middle East. My final 8 months I was engine run certified and was on call 24 hrs a day 7 a week. I was assigned to the 61 squadron but also ran engines for the 62 squadron. That was when the AF offered everyone a 6 month early out. Most of the skilled airmen got out. Due family reasons I stayed in. Mistake mistake mistake!!! My other job besides being on call 24/7 testing engines on the flight line I was assigned to the phase dock under Msgt Cannon. Pure hell. I have been able to keep up with one fellow airman Tom Gargis over the past 52 years. Any other airmen out there that assigned to the 61 squadron who worked on the flight line or phase dock please respond. I would love to hear from you. I am living in Georgetown SC. Wife and I are retired now.that’s me squatting.picture was taken in Tel Aviv Israel during the 6 day war. Mission was pick up dependents in Amman Jordan.

Hi,  I knew two guys that came to Naha when I was there from 1967 to Mar 69 that both came from Sewart. I think at the same time. t least in 1968 sometime.  One was Gary Levesque from Washington & the other was John Eggers. I am not sure where he was from. John had re-enlisted and was on his second tour.

Gary was my roommate and if you knew him, you wouldn't forget him. He was very outspoken and funny, and also sometimes annoying🥴.   He was engine run qualified, and also knew more about the C-130 than anybody I have ever known (he was under 4)!  

If you knew them, let me know.  I may have some stories.   😃

Ken

Hey Ken I know of another person who you also know who probably forgot more about the C-130A=E-H-that started out as a CC at CCK then a FE with E-flight and that person would be Vinny Aquaviva! He trained me on the instrumentation Auto Pilot and Compass Systems when I was an ART at Willow Grove in the 913th then when I was Pro Super he was my Expediter on the flight Line. When they closed the Grove in 2007 I had already gone to Pope and joined the 440th out of Milwaukee until I retired in 2009. I dont think you remember me from Naha I was a Sparkchaser there from Sep 68 to Jun 70 you were TTDY from CCK you ran engines a few times as I paralleled the DC generators. Always good to see you on the Herk website!

• 6 months later...

I was stationed at Sewart from 63 to 66. Was assigned to either the 61st or 62nd ,don't remember which,for about 2 months on B models then the 18th was formed with A models and I being a newbe was transferred to the 18th. Didn't take me but a day to realize the A models were a baaaaad deal. I survived 18 months and 2, 60 day rotes to Clark and TDY in country to VN on the A models. Found out about Scanner openings on brand new E models in the 4442/4446 CCTW down the flight line and jumped at the chance to be a crew member and a full time flying job. Did that till I left Sewart in Nov.66. Great job. Anybody know Joe Tidwell or Clyde Cook at Sewart? 61st or 62nd. Worked with Clyde as an ART for many years.