L3Harris Powers on First U.S. Air Force AMP INC 2 Aircraft

Metalbasher

L3Harris Powers on First U.S. Air Force AMP INC 2 Aircraft

Key milestone reached on road to delivery of first prototype aircraft.

Integrated Mission Systems
Feb 28, 2022

L3Harris recently achieved the “power-on” milestone for the first of three prototype aircraft under the U.S. Air Force Avionics Modernization Program Increment 2 (AMP INC 2). 

Additionally, the AMP INC 2 team completed the Systems Integration Lab (SIL), allowing flight software testing to begin. SIL testing is the first step in validating the customer’s mission system requirements before transitioning into ground and flight testing within the next six months. 

Modification and testing are occurring in parallel at L3Harris’ Waco, Texas aircraft modification facility, the company’s C-130 Center of Excellence.

Once local testing is complete, the aircraft will transition into joint developmental testing at Eglin AFB, with delivery of the three aircraft to follow for operational testing later this year. Low-Rate Initial Production is slated to begin in August 2022 with Full Rate Production beginning in 2023.  

Well here we are what is it 2022? I remember back in the 90s being in Avionics in a C-130E unit all the talk was "AMP" very exciting! Then its off no its on again, no its off, wait we're going to do a limited run "E"s to make em "H"s. I really hope all goes well and that they AMP a S@#$ load of Hercs. 

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 6:52 PM, Jcapsparkchaser said:

Well here we are what is it 2022? I remember back in the 90s being in Avionics in a C-130E unit all the talk was "AMP" very exciting! Then its off no its on again, no its off, wait we're going to do a limited run "E"s to make em "H"s. I really hope all goes well and that they AMP a S@#$ load of Hercs. 

There’s just not going to be nearly as many legacy Hercs left to modify.  I think most of the H1s have been retired now, and obviously the Es are long gone. We would have been way ahead years ago if they just let the original AMP go through.