Aeroproducts three-bladed synchrophasing?

Ralph Brands

I'm trying to resolve a discussion regarding the A model three-bladed props.  I flew A models (53-3133, 55-0022, 55-0024) in the 1970s at Hanscom Fld, Kirtland AFB and Wright-Patterson AFB in A.F. Systems Command.  My recollection is that the A model three-bladed props had synchronizing, but no synchro-phasing.  I certainly remember the "prop beats" flying them, the the super quiet of the E model when we got one of them.    I've researched Aeroproducts web site, which seems to imply they were synchro-phased.  Can anybody confirm or deny my recollections?  I wish I had kept my A Dash-1.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph Brands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was assigned to the AMST SPO at Wright-Patterson from 1976-1980 and was attached to the Test Wing to get my monthly flying time as a loadmaster on the C-130s.  I flew on both 55-0022 and 55-0024 for several years.  I was immensely gratified to discover that by the time I got there in 1976, both had been converted to 4-bladed props!  Have been flying on commercial A-models since 2002, one of which is 55-0008 (N120TG) most recently used in the DARPA GREMLINS program, to deploy and later recover an X-6A from a C-130 (55-0008/N120TG). 

Drone recovery.jpg

Second flight test.jpg