Fun to be had by all

Dan Wilson

Well in the last week I have finally got to level out my front porch, and now getting to disassemble all the fancy woodwork for striping and cleaning, and between that I get to shovel out the piles of plaster in my parlor.

I am loving this but its really kicking my butt, boy I am really loving those narcotics right now:cool:

100_7743.jpg

100_7648.jpg

We're living in our 39ft 5th wheel trailer until we get at least a functioning bathroom up and going a the parlor ready to move into for a bedroom.

Only real bummer is the ol lady is afraid to be over here after dark by herself, we have a couple pretty damn active ghosts stirred up.

Yep, that plaster dust is a PITA but at least I dont give a damn about the lead paint, what dont kill you ........ LOL

th_1stMaleEngineer.jpg

I take my hat off to you, having walked that way to.

Nice to a lovely old house brought back to its former glory.

have you thought of soda washing the outside as it will save lots of time but I do not know if over there it is expensive.

Do not as Tiny said to use the right headed nails for the correct side of the house.

Regards

Col

Hi Col, soda washing wont be a factor as I am just taking it all down to bare wood, dont take much as most of the exterior paint has already flaked off. I have to pull all the clapboards off to wrap the house. There is nothing between the sheathing and the clapboards so will need to pull it down and put some tyvek sheeting in.

The center of the molding under the window was simply lathe and plaster. After it gets re-plastered (the only part I am have to farm out to hired help) I might consider adding something in there besides plain plaster, painted ornamentation or some wood thingymabobs or whatnots.

Dan, All I can say, is good luck with that project! I did something similar to my old home several years ago (not nearly as much though), and I didn't think I would ever see it finished. Now, looking at what you still have ahead of you, I just shudder thinking of the thought of tackling something like what you have ahead!!!

My hat's off to you, and all of us on the forum are hoping you will keep us posted with pictures of your progress!!

Just a side note, do you have a good place for your gun vault? I hope you have them in a safe place for now!!!

Do you need any help storing them? Just trying to be neighborly!!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Tiny, there is no requirement to plaster but I want to do it for the "original" feel and look.

I am not going to put the lath back up though, I will either put up drywall or plywood and have plaster put over that. hell of a lot easier than re-nailing sixty two lebbinty billion bits of lath back on.

Have to shovel out another half ton or so of plaster that just got pulled down, back the truck up to the window and start shoveling it all out the window followed closely by some percocet and morphine :)

We just finished both baths. We tore out all the old tile. The walls all had the metal screening and concrete behind the tile that was the worst. Painted the house inside and out added new doors and windows. It took a little over a year, but after seeing the results it was worth it.

I don't know Plaprad, Dan did say something about narcotics, he could substitute the candy and Red Bull.

he could substitute the candy and Red Bull.

Never gonna happen, I like my smack way too much to waste on kids, they wouldnt know how to properly enjoy it :)

Theres got to be something wrong with your life when you have to use your pain meds for pain instead of recreation, whats up with that!!

I hope that you notified all the proper officials and obtained the proper permits before starting this project.. You know, state and fed EPA: state hazmat gurus: state & federal beautification & historical preservation committees: and of course the "local" landmark preservation officials (aka little ole ladies with wide brim flowered hats). I trust that you also have the required 5 bulk containers for proper material sort and disposal: wood, plaster, plastic (if any), heavy metals, plus all the reconstruction material waste that your generating. Oh, and don't forget the local building inspectors' payoff (smack ?)...

Just kidding.....

Frank C.

Yep, got all the required permits - none :) (I consulted my own personal building permit guide, written by me, to determine that number LOL)

Also got all the disposal figured out, if it burns or melts into the fire pit it goes.

Plaster (and lead paint residue) gets dumped out back against the fence.

I like working this way, tends to simplify things greatly.

Super monster mother Effin hailstorm from hell happened Oct 4th. It gave the roof a new "pebbled texture" roof. And busted out the one skylight. The skylight happens to be on the second floor roof.

The builder put a skylight on the second story roof. Stupid. But now our remodel plans for that master bath have been put on hold - YET AGAIN!!!!

So far, I have had five roofers come out to give an estimate. Three would not een get out the ladder and straight up said no, on the spot. One said yeah, but never gave me an estimate and is avoiding calls. And one that aslo said yes, is really living up to the contractor stereotype. Thankfully we have not agreed to anything or paid anything out.

Yep, got all the required permits - none :) (I consulted my own personal building permit guide, written by me, to determine that number LOL)

Also got all the disposal figured out, if it burns or melts into the fire pit it goes.

Plaster (and lead paint residue) gets dumped out back against the fence.

I like working this way, tends to simplify things greatly.

I am now waiting for C4 to be brought up for remodeling at some point.

• 4 weeks later...