LOCKHEED YMC-130H "HERCULES" "CREDIBLE SPORT"...up for grabs

Metalbasher

I spoke to Ken Emery (runs the museum) about possibly refurbishing this old girl and the AC-130A so they are presentable to the public. He said that they (museum) had identified it (the Credible Sport aircraft) as excess and notified the USAF Museum at Wright Patt that it is up for grabs in the event another base etc wants it. I inquired a little more...he said they do not have the facilities for it etc, but I explained that if WR-ALC doesn't have the facilities to do the work etc, who else would. He was more concerned with a permanent hangar to display it in vs. sitting outside.

Really sad to see all the aircraft in the shape they are in on "display". I know the middle GA summers take their toll on the coatings etc, but other museums, i.e. Edwards AFB etc manage to display them in pretty good fashion and they do not have the world class facilities that WR-ALC has.

LOCKHEED YMC-130H "HERCULES" "CREDIBLE SPORT"

Lockheed YMC-130H "Hercules" "Credible Sport"The C-130 Hercules primarily performs the intratheater portion of the airlift mission. The aircraft is capable of operating from rough, dirt strips and is the prime transport for paradropping troops and equipment into hostile areas. Basic and specialized versions perform a diversity of roles, including airlift support, DEW Line and Arctic ice resupply, aeromedical missions, aerial spray missions, fire-fighting duties for the US Forest Service, and disaster relief missions.

Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provides worldwide support to all C-130s in the USAF fleet and to many foreign nations flying the Hercules as well. The aircraft on display was delivered to the USAF in June 1976. In 1981 it was one of three C-130H aircraft that were specially modified for use in a possible rescue attempt of the Americans held hostage in Iran in 1981. Code named “Credible Sport,†the stock C-130H aircraft had highly modified flight control, flap system and airframe components allowed the installation of various rocket systems for short take off and landing (STOL) capabilities unique to the rescue operation. Although never actually used, one of the aircraft was destroyed during testing, the second was demodified and returned to service, and the third, this one on display, was retired to the Museum in 1987.

I was up at C-74 (Eglin Aux. Field 1) and looked around to see it there was any evidence of 74-1683 anywhere, but was unable to. I know all the salvageable "unique" parts were removed from the wreckage and then the remains were disposed of, but where? The only thing I've ever heard is that the wreckage was "buried" at C-5 or C-74. Anybody know more?

By the way, for those interested, Aux Field 1 was also where the Doolittle Raiders trained. Lots of history there.