Mildenhall/Rhein Main Rotes

DC10FE

A friend and I were talking the other day about the Mildenhall and Rhein Main rotes and a question came up -- I know the call signs were "Old" and "Ask" but which one was for which rote?

Which brings up another question -- were those call signs ever used after that for any other operations or exercises?

I did a lot of rotes to both places both as a crew chief and an FE. Even did one to Evereaux back in the mid-1960's. Anyone remember that call sign?

Thanks,

Don R.

Don, I can't remember my call sign yesterday obviously you retained more brain cells. While I don't remember the call sign - I never did Rhein Main rotes and I don't remember the "ask" call sign so "old" must have been the bravo call sign from Mildenhall

A friend and I were talking the other day about the Mildenhall and Rhein Main rotes and a question came up -- I know the call signs were "Old" and "Ask" but which one was for which rote?

Which brings up another question -- were those call signs ever used after that for any other operations or exercises?

I did a lot of rotes to both places both as a crew chief and an FE. Even did one to Evereaux back in the mid-1960's. Anyone remember that call sign?

Thanks,

Don R.

Don't know the call sign for Evreux but would like to know when you were there,what squadron and what Maggi you worked/flew out of.

"Volant Pine" aka Mildenhall Call Signs were "Old". I did a mini rote to Rhein Main in spring of 1983 but don't remember the "Call Sign" used. Seems to me though the Mildenhall Call Signs might change for some "Dip Clearance" missions.

What Call Signs were used when flying out of Incirlik "Volant Tony" and/or Athens?

Don't know the call sign for Evreux but would like to know when you were there,what squadron and what Maggi you worked/flew out of.

GVS, I was at Evereaux in 1964, I think. I was a A/2C with the 463 OMS on a B-model out of Langley. It was pretty much a 90-day blur. Maggi?

Jake, it's not my retention of brain cells -- more like CRS; I remember crap from 40 years ago, but can't recall what I had for dinner last night!

jbob, as I remember, didn't the "Dip Clearance" missions have a "Reach" call sign -- just like Big MAC?

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling, of course!

Call sign was "Old" out of Mildenhall and "Ask" out of Rhein Main. The 37th used Ask for a while after moving to Rhein Main in the late 70's. The 37th used "Hertie" and then "Herky" on training Missions.

Sluggo, finally, a definitive yes or no answer to my question. "Old" & "Ask." Thanks!

Yeah, I remember the "Hertie" to "Herky" switch. I was the 6th FE to arrive at the 37th in 11/77. Even though we used the same checklist Air Force wide, in the beginning there was a lot of "Well, that's not the way we did it at ------- (take your pick; Dyess, Pope, Little Rock, McChord, etc)

Were you there from the beginning? Never mind -- just checked your profile; I remember you.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
additional garbage; er, comment

jbob, as I remember, didn't the "Dip Clearance" missions have a "Reach" call sign -- just like Big MAC?

Don R.

Don I think "Reach XXXXXX" was the AMC Dip Clearance call sign while "MAC XXXXXX" was the one used in the MAC days. Anyone?