What Non-Herks did you maintain?

• 4 weeks later...

B-707, B727, B737, B767, B747, DC8, DC9, L-1011, Buffalo, Twin Otter, ATR42. ATR72,Dash8, CRJ200,Embraer 145

By the way!!...I am for Premier Aviation now. Premier is also in Rome NY!!!".Our guys sometime go down there.!!

Edited by tusker
forgot one

• 3 years later...

Chronology

1. T-28 B & C

2. TC-45J, C-47J, C-117D, HU-16, C131

3. C-1A

4 RA-5C, A3D, TA-4F

5. TH-1L, UH-1E

6. RH-53D

7 TH-1L, UH-1E again

8 F-14A

9. SH-3G

10 F-14A again

The T-28 gig was a super opportunity to learn the Recip trade, about 120 of them in VT-2.

I loved the R-1830 (C-47) best, once one became accustomed to the counterweights rattling on start up and idle.

Most airframes with same engines (R-1820), T-28/HU-16/C-117D/C-1A. I trained in basic recip engines on the R-3350 in AD-1 or 2 Skyraiders, later Advanced recip training in AD-5 Skyraider. I had minimum working experience on the R-3350 but did crew a good many trips in the Lockheed P2V-Neptune, a sweet running engine when after parking I would drop down at the nose strut (as I recall) and carefully make my way to insert the landing gear pins in each receptacle. What a sound those 18 cylinders at a bit above idle made. Upon converting to ADJ Jet engine mech, RA-5C was my jet introduction-I thought it was a Beast, still do. A great amount of squadron folks had been in them for a long time, didn't know any better I thought. Beautiful airplane in flight, but a ball buster to maintain. I did enjoy high power turns, lighting the burners in and out causing the nose to slide down and up on the nose strut. I did nine years on real engines, only switched to jets so could advance in rate, recips were a dead end with no upward mobility. I appreciated helicopters more than the pure jets, their complicated machinery reminded me of the recip days. Still have no love for pure turbines-Run outside to gawk whenever a radial passes overhead, which is few and far between nowadays.

• 4 weeks later...

A F-102 sqd. was sent to Naha in 1965 TDY, and got PCS orders while there. I spent about 30 days with them while one of the mechanics took a 30 day leave.

Everyone in that Sqd got to take a 30 day leave.

About all I did was pull fuel access panels from under the wings. They seemed to have fuel leaks after each flight.

I couldn't take anymore of it so I went back to D section.

Here is an aircraft none of you have seen and I will bet everyone will have to look it up.

B-45C

I worked on 2 of them at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford. It was the only jet powered aircraft I encountered that had an oil consumption chart in the aircraft log book for the jet engines. The aircraft was powered by 4 J47s jet engines. All oil from the rear turbine bearings was drained over board. P&W used both aircraft for testing the P100 jet engine.

Also, worked on T28A (1495) model at El Centro NAF in southern California. A model was powered by Wright R1300. Great aircraft to learn recip. engine craft on. My time spent on the T28A helped me at Spartan after the air force.

Edited by RomeoDelta

After getting laidoff at lockheed, I worked at a small private airport in North Ga.

We had a bounch of old fabric coverd planes. Back then you could buy one for about $2000.

The owner showed me some ruts in the runway and told me a C-130 had touched down there but took off and didn't stop.

I guess a touch and go.