C-130 AMP

FEC130

Well....,

AMP passed the Nunn-McCurdy audit, but the Gov\'t has reduced the number of airplanes to be AMP\'ed to something like 222.

There is an H2 and an H2.5 at Edwards in flight test, plus one MC-130E doing APN-241 radar software evaluations.

TalonOneTF wrote:

plus one MC-130E doing APN-241 radar software evaluations.

I thought AFSOC issued a \'stop work\' order to Boeing in April for AMP...In fact, last I heard, there\'s a push to go a different route for AFSOC - they\'re also waiting to see what happens with their desire to purchase J-models.

The AFSOC Stop Work was for the effort associated with the full-up AMP modifications; however, a trickle of funds has kept the radar software development going for the APN-241 radar. This effort could be (tbd)useful for the WC\'s, new J\'s, and possibly radar replacements on older, existing AFSOC platforms.

Seems short-sighted, actually. Doubtful AFSOC will ever see a bit of that development. It\'s been too slow & newer, classified technology has made any thought of TF-ing with the 241 obsolete. Unless I misunderstood & big blue is funding radar development for MAF...

241 is a great radar. Unfortnately, by itself, it isn\'t a TF radar because it can\'t multi-task. Would\'ve been great - the logistics alone made it very desireable...

Problem with \"other\" programs out there is they were banking on computers/displays from AMP/CAAP (SOF version), so it delays fielding of the next generation radar because we can\'t support it with current acft/avionics architecture...

[unfortnately, by itself, it isn\'t a TF radar]

Couldn\'t agree with you more on that statement, however, it can be implemented as a reliable, accurate sensor---and yes, logistically it fits right in. There are still elements of testing that have not yet been accomplished, but as a former MC-130H Pilot, I think you would be impressed with the TF results to date.

Who can say what is on the horizon for AFSOC/USSOCOM planning and funding---way beyond me.