Electric Valve Housings (EPCS)

keepemflying130

Does anyone know the history of the electric valve housings program? We are currently de-modding a bird back to traditional valve housings, and I am interested in the operational history of this program. I understand that there are about 5 birds with this system. I ran this one when it got here, and it ran great. 100% across the board, rock solid. I understand that parts support, troubleshooting/training were factors leading the EPCS\'s demise.

The removed components are being \'green tagged\', but I have heard that they are bound for DRMO. Hard to believe...these babies can\'t be cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Would that be AC 106 in NY???

If you want to know what I think..(2 cents from NO SENSE) the testing was done to pave the way for the upgrade and then the J came along and well so much for that....

The system works/ed great, did some of the testing at Pax. Not sure but the ANG or AFR or what ever its called now was interested and put some money in the pot but after that???

USMC mod\'ed 106 and flew tests for three years then x\'nayed the project..

the system was nice and quiet and SIMPLE....easy to rig even I could get it right the first time...but who knows....

Yes it is 4106. It has been totally demodded from EPCS and the wire is currently being installed to return it to normal prop,sync,valve housing config. I noticed that the modified pump housings had a \'main pump low pressure\' switch. Nice.. would be the tell all on prop low oil lights. Wonder why they would not keep that at least. I was under the impression that there were 4 or 5 more EPCS\'s still flying, until demod. Is that true, or is 4106 a \'one off\' test bed?

Never worked on it except for demod, but looked easy enough. Just rig to the sweep on valve housing cover, and let \'er rip. EPCS does the blade angles ect. Correct?

Anyone interested...just found this link, it gives you the jist.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/4241.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HAvent heard much more about EPC other than the de\'mod for AC 106...as for the Sundstrand 8 bladed prop I think that was the future....plan at least...E-2 C-2 already flying so... Snow aviation I think has a six bladed prop mated with the EPC but not sure...I know there are P-3 EPC\'s out there just not sure where....

• 4 weeks later...

There were 2 ANG Herc\'s modified with the EPCS system. One from the NY ANG and the other from the WY ANG. The WY bird is currently retrofitted with NP2000 8-bladed props at Edwards AFB for flight test. Engine runs started last week. The Navy had the first EPCS mod but probably demod\'d for financial reasons. All current reports from both OPS and maintenance is positive. We will be pressing forward with both the EPCS and NP2000 programs. All the speculation on why the Navy demod\'d has been off the mark.

• 1 month later...

\"We\" was the ANG as I remember. They came to Pax during the USMC testing and were \"making plans\" and they have already Mod\'ed the one to a 8 blade NP2000 prop\" so...

[img size=400]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/normal_POTW_04_28_08.jpg

\"The Navy had the first EPCS mod but probably demod\'d for \"financial reasons\".

\"All the speculation on why the Navy demod\'d has been off the mark.\"

Please supply some new, more accurate speculation as to why the Navy demod\'d.

I guess the USMC having converted to J\'s (- reserves to date, but scheduled...)and the cost of AMP making the Navy look at the J also is totaly off the mark, at least they are for \"financial reasons\".

As for the system it is was very nice even with the HS 4 bladed prop...

The first \"we\" you were asking about is the Hamilton Sundstrand propulsion group. With help from both WY & NY ANG personnel, I have been installing the EPCS and NP2000 systems on ANG aircraft. The EPCS system can be installed as a stand alone system with the 4-blade 54H60 prop or EPCS can be the 1st stage of a complete NP2000 8-blade propeller upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

And people should know that the EPCS has over 400 flawless flight hours with the ANG, and they are pushing for more systems. My recollection of the USMC bird is it had to get into rotation for the fight, and could not go without the logistics in place, the funding was not there to convert the rest and provide a total support package, short sighted planning on NAVAIR\'s part in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew the 8-bladed props yesterday...wow! The noise & vibration levels were way down; you could take your headset off up on the flight deck & have a conversation without yelling. We performed full stalls at 0, 20, 50, 70 & 100% flap settings. There was no hint of the nasty wing-over tendency from the J-model. This was the second flight so far, no problems whatsoever with the entire prop system.

In these days, it will be interesting to find out what the fuel efficiency factor will be.

And, if the vibration reduction is significant, it may lead to longer life of the center wing box.

Unless, of course, if use of this prop system is limited to only aircraft with specific requirements, like the ski birds.

Let\'s hope we hear lots of good things from this prop....

From page 1 of this thread...

\"We are receiving a Wyoming H3 tomorrow that already has the EPCS. We will install four Hamilton Sundstrum 8-bladed props on it & test the complete system this year.\"

And there is a picture on page 2 of this thread...take a look.

John

The tests are being done on a Cheyenne H3....standard Herc. Vibration seems to be significantly reduced. I can\'t give you any kinds of numbers, as we are way early in test phases. I really want to get some cruise numbers to see how more efficient they are.

More to come...

TalonOneTF wrote:

From page 1 of this thread...

\"We are receiving a Wyoming H3 tomorrow that already has the EPCS. We will install four Hamilton Sundstrum 8-bladed props on it & test the complete system this year.\"

And there is a picture on page 2 of this thread...take a look.

John

Ah well, anything more than 2 days old is ancient historyB) - forgot

a piccie had been posted:blush: . Tnx

• 3 weeks later...

Does the EPSC come with the NP2000/54H60 prop? Is it stand alone?

What are the performance numbers on the new prop? HP/Torque? MTBF? etc

Can the new prop be mounted on the existing -15? If so are there any significant structural changes. How long would it take to mod an aircraft with the new prop?

Ok, the EPCS can be a stand-alone mod to operate with the 54H60, but is required if you want the NP2000 props.

We haven\'t collected actually performance numbers yet, too early.

These new props are in fact mounted on the existing -15 motors that the airplane came to us with, with the exception of #3, which is heavily instrumented to record the differences in stresses due to the new prop.

I was told the mod could be done in around a month.

Torque is limited by the wing not the prop or engine...the fact that you achieve that value more effeciectly is the main factor...no structrual changes...only the pump housing needs modifications

As far as the MTBF... 90% fewer moving parts=\'s longer MTBF...

Fewer moving parts means less failure due to wear, not necessarily a higher MTBF.

Not questioning that it doesn\'t have a higher MTBF, just logic used to assert as such.

Electronic means wires & connectors instead of linkages & pullies - electrics have their own unique challenges.

Don\'t misconstrue - not bashing the EPCS - I think it\'s a great idea whose time is overdue.